2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,642 Posts
Very nice little reel. I really enjoy mine. If you properly lube the reel before it ever sees saltwater, and then take care of it down the line, you should have many trouble free years of use.

On the other hand, if you dunk it a few times straight out of the box, and don't maintain the reel properly, it will surely crumble into tiny little pieces right before your eyes.

JMHO,

Mike

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Great reel and for sure will corode in salt water no matter how well you keep it clean I just had all 3 of mine taken apart and had new frames put in that shimano is replaceing as they get sent back to them I will keep you updated how long these new ones last they said they sprayed a corrosion barrier on them that keeps the salt water from eating them up.But all in all nice reels later Ken P.S I fish mine with laguna texas wader 2 awesome set up

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I too use a 50MG on Laguna Texas Wader 2, like noo-noo said awesome set-up. I clean with Reel-Magic before and after each outing, and have it cleaned by a pro every 2 months. The weight is the biggest reason to purchase. If you throw artifical it is hard to beat.
Tight Knot

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the 50 MG as well and take very good care of mine... Break it down and clean it every other trip... I noticed some pitting in the frame where the Thumbbar realease slides on the inside... I bought some Corrosion X HD (Green Can) and coated the insides of the entire reel.. Let it set overnight and reassembled.. Have not had any problems eversince... If you purchase this reel brand new I would suggest coating it before it ever sees the salt... Mine was never dunked and it still had some signs of corrosion... All in all it has been an awesome reel and I can't imagine using anything else now... I also installed a ZPI carbon fiber reel handle and a 4 bearing kit 2 bearings for each grip... This made the reel even lighter and smoother.. Here is the link for the reel handle and bearing

http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com/

Hope this helps!

Speckwrangler

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I have a couple of them and have had good luck with them. Had one for a year and a half and the other for a year. I wipe them down inside and out with Corrosion X's Reel X when I take them apart to clean them and they still look like new. No corrosion problems at all.

This probably isn't the reel for someone who wants to just use it, abuse it, hose it down with a waterhose and throw it in the closet. If you will keep it clean and use a little preventive maint on it you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was wondering how the magnesium held up under the coating, I am seriously thinking about trying the ardent reel. I couldn't find anyone who has one but I know it is made of the same materials. If the protection coating is comparable then it should be ok. The ardent must be a bit larger because it is rated at 8.7 oz and the mg is 5.something. Wonder what the dif is.?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow a MG reel that weighs 8.7 OZ... You may want to look at the curado 100D it weighs 7.3 oz and it is not an MG

JMO!

SW

·
Banned
324 Posts
One of my friends has on and I have used it a couple of times and after reading the posts about it and saltwater I am almost afraid to open it up. I am really bad about cleaning reels. I spray them off with the water hose when I am done but that is about the extent of my routine cleaning. Once in a while I will open my reels up oil them but thats it.My reels are ridden hard and put up wet.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i got one and love it.. no problems but its well taken care of.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
a few years.

I've had one for a few years.
I fish it pretty hard.

I think she's got cancer.
Still throws like all get out.
I can see it around 1 screw.
I'm afraid to open her up.
Chemo might even be too late.
I've had her on a cocktail for awhile.
Oh, that's me.

Should we start an little bet here to pay for the $125 frame!!!!
Heck then I'll have $400+ in her. LMMFAO!!
But she'll be good as new I hope.
I love her!!
Reminds me of an lean girl I knew once.

G

·
I happen to have a MG50, it goes offshore with me all the time. I use as a bait reel to catch all of my Blue Runners, I have also caught a few limits of snapper with it. I dont think you can break the reel, I know mine has held up well.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Mike in Friendswood said:
On the other hand, if you dunk it a few times straight out of the box, and don't maintain the reel properly, it will surely crumble into tiny little pieces right before your eyes.
And in some cases even if you dont dunk it. Mine was never dunked...I did buy it used but very lightly used and the guy I bought it from is reputable on these boards. I didnt dunk mine although I didnt do any deep cleaning on it either till just before we took it to Mike. I had been using it for about 7 months, heavily for about 3 when it started to crumble on the inside at the thumb lever. Dont know what started it, maybe a scratch or a grain of sand. I always took extra care rinsing it off after each use no matter if it just rode on the boat or if I actually used it.

Long story short, Academy took it back, I have a new one and I still love the reels. Paired with a nice, lightweight rod its perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts