2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about them on the BIG E report I ordered a couple online from True World Tackle and they arrived quickly. Never ordered Japanese lures before. I guess I am surprised they come sans hooks. So what hooks would y'all recommend for them? I will be casting a TwinSpin 30/ Calstar 6.5 foot rod set up I have, braid line.

What about the leader set up? Even though I bought these for tuna, my inclination would be to put a short steel leader so as to not lose a $50 lure to toothy predators that might bite. On a night bite I'm not sure they can see a leader that well anyway.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
360tuna has a lot of good information about Shibuki rigging, I believe most people use Owner ST-66s' but I've been wrong before

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks K21

Looks like most folks use on 360 the Owner ST66 like you said. Most commenters like the 3/0 size which they say is as large as you can go and not affect the swimming action.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duh!

I just realized that the box liner that comes with the lure unfolds into an information sheet. It recommends Owner TS66 in 3/0 size. But you should see the schematic drawing of the lure's innards.....it looks like a small nuclear submarine...lazer cut flat steel from tie loop to both hook loops (in case of the unfortunate event the lure should break during a fight)...steel sliding weights, magnets, etca.

·
Registered
457 Posts
3/0s are fine. i dont like small hooks for tuna unless absolutely necessary (i.e. it affects the action of the lure). hooks when jigging or popping dont need to be small just for the sake of being small. that hook is a part of the lure and a part of what the fish is attracted to IMO.

regarding the leader - use a PR knot if you want a connection. no other knot is as strong as PR/mid knot while maintaining such a slim profile. ive used them all and these are the best knots for this purpose. you can also use a pre-made leader with a loop to loop connection. pros: very slim and 100% strong if made properly. cons: expensive to buy.

let us know how far you were casting. 6.5 foot rod is shorter than most popping rods for the GOM where distance can be essential. but the glass rods do load very well so you might be able to get launch it a ways.

good luck!

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Casting with TwinSpin30 and 6.5 foot MeltonCalstar

let us know how far you were casting. 6.5 foot rod is shorter than most popping rods for the GOM where distance can be essential. but the glass rods do load very well so you might be able to get launch it a ways.
good luck!
Line also makes a difference. I have two spools with different line. 65lb braid does way better than the 80 lb for casting distance, especially with smaller Tuna Hunter poppers.

I bought the TwinSpin with the rod after calling talking with melton. 7 foot better for casting but 6.5 better for fighting. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts