2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is a fair price to gut a house (4' up from the floors) of sheetrock? We chalk lined 4' from the floor cut and pulled out all of the sheetrock and insulation, baseboards, and bleached all of the studs and floors. We were asked by the homeowner to give a fair price and have no idea where to begin. This is a smallish (approx 1200 sq. ft.) 3 beadroom 2 bath w/living area a kitchen and 1 car garage house.

Any replys are greatly apprciated.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
NVUS2 said:
Can anyone tell me what is a fair price to gut a house (4' up from the floors) of sheetrock? We chalk lined 4' from the floor cut and pulled out all of the sheetrock and insulation, baseboards, and bleached all of the studs and floors. We were asked by the homeowner to give a fair price and have no idea where to begin. This is a smallish (approx 1200 sq. ft.) 3 beadroom 2 bath w/living area a kitchen and 1 car garage house.

For the junior sheetrockers out there, if you must use a chalk line on sheetrock, do NOT use red or blue chalk as it will bleed through mud and paint. Buy a new chalk box and use baby powder to chalk lines. Another thing to note is, do not measure up from the corners of your slab at exactly 48" and assume thats where you need to cut out the old sheetrock. In residential building the framing is built upon an 1 1/2" botton plate and a double top plate using studs measuring 92 5/8". This is how it works. the ceiling is rocked first and then the walls are rocked most of the times with 12' rock up againgst the ceiling in a layed down fashion. The bottom of the walls are then filled in and "LIFTED" off the ground to butt up the joint and keep the rock off the slab.

What that means is, the taped and floated horizontal joint is roughly at 48 3/4" from the slab and about an 1/8" thicker than the average thickness of non floated areas. When you cut out the old sheetrock at 48" you are allready at an area that is thicker, or more buldging than say 40" due to the allready built up mud. It's much more work and cost to bust out that kind of joint than it is to cut out the old sheetrock at another level.

Hope this helps.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Been along time since I was sheetrocker and when I was I did mostly commercial. At least 99% of the time. On a side note, the square footage of the house doenst help with giving an estimate. They will need linear feet times height equaling square footage, inside corners, outside corners, will door trim have to be removed, baseboards and a whole lot more.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
just come up with a fair labor rate per person plus actual cash spent on non reusable materials and expenses such as bags, bleach, dump fees, fuel etc... most SF pricing takes costs into consideration required to operate a business

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
jc said:
just come up with a fair labor rate per person plus actual cash spent on non reusable materials and expenses such as bags, bleach, dump fees, fuel etc...
I dissagree Jon. These are not hourly jobs. This kind of job needs a quote including all trim work and texture. In order to keep costs down the homeowner/renter should do some of the work themself. Otherwise your looking at $6 a square foot or $35 per man per day.

Am I close? lol

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
NVUS2 said:

I just had this done to my dads house in Bridge City. For 2 guys to tear out,and remove all the ruined contents was $4,950.00. All trash brought to the road for FEMA to dispose of.

The rental on 3 de-humidifiers and 2 ozone generators is $300.00/day...We will need them for 3 days.

To have everything sprayed with SafeCide Mold Remoaval/Shield will be 900.00 for the solution and 600.00 for the applicator's. The Clorox/Water will not work for an entire house. It's only good for Spot treatment.

So, about $7400.00 for a 3-2 with a 1 car garage -1200 sq.'

I had bids ranging from $4950.00 -$11,000 for the tear out only.

The De-Humidifiers, Ozone Generator and Mold removal solution were all recommended by a relative who owns a Restoration business.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys so far.....here is some more info that I didn't realize I should have posted in the beginning.

There were 5 of us working....took us about 18 hours total to gut 4' up....all of us worked about 10 hours the first day pulling out sheetrock trim, carpet, insulation, etc..... and then 3 of us the second day(8 hrs) pulling out cabinets and the sheetrock and insulation behind the cabinets....

How do we charge? Hourly? And if so at what rate? Or flat fee? And if so please give estimates

Thanks!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
NVUS2 said:
Thanks for the replys so far.....here is some more info that I didn't realize I should have posted in the beginning.

There were 5 of us working....took us about 18 hours total to gut 4' up....all of us worked about 10 hours the first day pulling out sheetrock trim, carpet, insulation, etc..... and then 3 of us the second day(8 hrs) pulling out cabinets and the sheetrock and insulation behind the cabinets....

How do we charge? Hourly? And if so at what rate? Or flat fee? And if so please give estimates

Thanks!
I dont think any of us can help with that. Thats between you and your landlord, and the agreement yall made before tearing his/her house apart!

Unless you trust your landlord, you messed up.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
Gary said:
I dissagree Jon. These are not hourly jobs. This kind of job needs a quote including all trim work and texture. In order to keep costs down the homeowner/renter should do some of the work themself. Otherwise your looking at $6 a square foot or $35 per man per day.

Am I close? lol
pricing for Hurricane Dolly for several carriers... probably going to be a bit higher in Houston market...

remove 1/2" Drywall = $.50 per SF
remove Bat insulation = $.40 per SF
apply anti-microbial agent = $.17 per SF

General Demolition Labor Rate is $25.34 per hour

and yes, this should be a per square foot and linear foot job for contractors that come into the game paying for supervision, workers comp, general liability, offices, transportation, etc... not so sure about tenants... its basically day labor without the hassle of supervision

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its not my landlord....its a friends rental property and she wants to get the house livable for the tenents. She wants to pay us a fair price for our work but we have no idea what a fair price is.

The work to put the house back together is being contracted out. I just neead a fair price to charge for the demolition.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
jc said:
pricing for Hurricane Dolly for several carriers... probably going to be a bit higher in Houston market...

remove 1/2" Drywall = $.50 per SF
remove Bat insulation = $.40 per SF
apply anti-microbial agent = $.17 per SF

General Demolition Labor Rate is $25.34 per hour

and yes, this should be a per square foot and linear foot job for contractors that come into the game paying for supervision, workers comp, general liability, offices, transportation, etc... not so sure about tenants... its basically day labor without the hassle of supervision
Over $25 an hour for unskilled labor?

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
read my last paragraph again Gary... that labor rate is straight off estimateing software and is approx price a general contractor would charge... laborers would definitely not see the whole amount

·
Hunting Machine!
5,831 Posts
When I do Flood jobs we are required to rip out all jambs doors cab bases etc and completely strip the bottom floor--no exceptions at all--and as Jabx said and I mentioned on the phone is to completely get rid of all moisture in the construction and neutralize it for mold.

It's the only way!--Big Job no foolin'.

Good luck with your job and I hope you come out ok.

swamp.......................................tearin' out type guy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts