2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my lab. She is black and almost 2 years old. She is allowed inside but its getting harder to justify it to the not so understanding wife becase she sheds soooooooo much. It doesn't bother me but we have an 8 month old and it convers every inch of her as she rolls on the carpet. I ahve tried giving her fatty acid medicine, wash her every 3 weeks, and I comb her daily but the hair is everywhere. Like I said, I could care less, but does anybody have some tips?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
They shed. Period.

You can try crate training for when the dog is inside. But I have never heard of anything that keeps a lab from shedding.

You might offer to vacuum daily...other than that.....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My sister had 2 labs and a baby....she vaccumed about every 2 days, no dogs on the furnture and they sleep in crates.
Bath weekly. See if you can get your lab aquainted with the vaccume....I had a cat that loved to be vaccumed....best of both worlds!

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
These here boyzs might be able to give some good idears about that.... :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
It's the time of year. When the weather is hot, they shed...during the winter I'll bet that you don't have as much of a problem.

·
Limey
1,089 Posts
If the sheading is more than normal the dog could have thyroid (sp) problems. Trip to vets for a check up & pills if needed. Also have the dog shaved, they look good, keeps them cool & helps w/sheading. They don't shave the head or tail, try it, you'll ask yourself why didn't I do this sooner.

·
Team Purple Haze
1,872 Posts
I think coolchange is past the point. Might of helped if he started as soon as we met......lol I'm sure me and his kids had a lot to do with the shiney spot lololololol

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Neverenough said:
wash weekly and brush daily
It does help. We give Hunter baths with shedding conditioner and use a shedding comb (tear shaped slicker brush)....and Fish Oil/OMEGA 3 pills with his food. Quality food helps, too. We feed Purina 1. P1 is not overpriced and actually compairs to some of the higher dollar specialty foods.

I would not recommend shaving a lab. They have their coat for a reason. Plus, it DOES NOT stop shedding. They just shed shorter hairs.

I recommend bath and brush, vacuum and sweep........good luck.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Just bathed tho old black lab this afternoon. He loves it. A good brushing and we share a beer or two. eventually you get used to black hair in or on everything you eat, wear, or own.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Look at post 8 again folks. I haven't used this product because I don't have a dog, but from the looks of the video this product could really help some people. It's worth a shot.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
Most groomers have a tool that thins the undercoat on dogs that shed. It leaves the top coat alone. It's pretty expensive and is basically a bunch of curved razors in a comb pattern. You have to know what you are doing because you can do some real damage with it.

I take my Golden and my mutt in once a quarter and have this done for about $30 each. It doesn't eliminate the shedding, but cuts it down a bunch. The dogs are also cooler and their coat looks healthier.

Other than that, I give them high quality food with all the right supplements and brush and bathe them regularly.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
"I would not recommend shaving a lab. They have their coat for a reason. Plus, it DOES NOT stop shedding. They just shed shorter hairs."

I disagree. I thought this also. The warden talked me into getting my female clipped and de-shedded(what Gotago is talking about) and it worked wonders. We don't get her done at the lowest setting and most poeple can't tell she has been cut. We just had it done again today on one setting shorter this shoud get her through August then I will ket it grow out since they don't seem to shed as much in the cooler weather. As far as them needing the hair, if they are an inside dog and doesn't hunt in the winter then I see no problem.

We also tried the anti-shedding pills and they worked a little, but the cut and deshed is the way to go, and I fought getting this done the last two years.

FYI, just a tip for those that want to get a brush like the one the groomers use. Go to Academy and get the $.99 fish scaler. It has the same jagged teth and costs alot less and works just as well.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Two of my neighbors shave thier labs and the dogs have seen no ill effects. Doing so cut down on shed hair around the house by at least 75%. I asked both my vet and trainer about it, and each said that it was ok as long as you only do it in the summer, and allow them to grow out thier winter coat. I haven't had Milo shaved because, frankly, I am a bachelor and couldn't care less if there is dog hair all over.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
deke....FYI said:
Just for accuracy, I have one of the tools that looks like the fish scaler at home. I use it on them weekly, but it doesn't get to the undercoat. It does help with the shedding though.

The tool I'm talking about is a wicked looking device that costs about $200. If you tried to scale a fish with it, you'd cut the fish into thin ribbons. My vet recommended having this done. When I asked about buying one she said she sees several dogs a year whose owners used one wrong and gave their dogs several dozen long cuts in the skin.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,956 Posts
We recently purchased one of the razor type combs. It's a great tool and once you get the hang of it, you will be able to pull a lot of the hair off before it sheds. It takes a few minutes, but it's ten times more effective than the typical sheding rake and the dog loves it so it's a win-win deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts