2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking some friends out to the North Jetty for shark fishing. Hooked up on numerous Spinners, Black tip and a couple Hammers. Are the Freeport Jetties as good for shark fishing as it is easier and quicker to get to from far West Bay?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,513 Posts
Freeport jetties are difficult to fish by boat. You can rollerskate the full length of the rocks so their are people set up with their jetty carts all along. If you pull up by boat you will likely get pummeled by people casting from the rocks.....

But weather/conditions permitting depending on what size boat you have the Freeport beach front is accessible and productive for sharks similar to the Galv jettys.

I will warn that catch 100 times more sandbar sharks out of Galveston than blacktip. They look very very similar except sandbars are protected and must be released. Make sure you don't make a mistake on the species....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have hooked a couple Sandbar and have a good eye on the difference. We are releasing almost all of the blacktips as well but occasionally keep a smaller one for grilling or a seafood stew.

Would you recommend sticking with the extra 30 minutes to get to WR4 for shark fishing?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,513 Posts
I shark fish a lot inside the ship channel so its not needed to travel too far.. We shark fish a lot within a few hundred yards of the Galv jetties as well....

Can do the same within a few miles of the Freeport jetties....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts