2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran down long island bayou today with my 5 year old to check things out.Birds were working all over the place toward the cut off and I thought it was going to be on like donkey kong. To my suprise there were thousands of shad bellying up in this clear/blackish water.I could not beleive all the dead/dying shad.What is going on? Poor oxygen levels, chemicals, or water too vegetation rich for the shad ? Ran back to reds bayou and caught a few stripers,cats and lost a few that felt heavy. By the way watch out for the down power lines across reds, if you run in the middle they will take your head off...

·
DeadEyeDean
1,500 Posts
Texas Parks and Wildlife has asked for you to report such an event. This could very well be chemicals or other pollutants. Please report it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
We had a big fish kill in East bay a few years back when we had exceptionally high tides due to a hurricane nearby. Story was that the salt water killed a lot of non-salt tolerant vegetation and the decaying vegetation caused a decrease in O2 levels in the water and caused a fish kill of shad and other forage fish. this resulted in an even greater loss of O2 in water and we started seein a lot of dead flounder from Anahuac Refuge to Port Bolivar. I'm guessing that salt water intrusion killed a lot of vegetation associated with the Bay system.

ntd

·
Registered
393 Posts
Since Ike I've seen fish gulping for air at the surface, and today in Old River dead fish are floating all over

·
Registered
201 Posts
Heavy salt water intrusion into the marsh/brackish water areas kills vegetation and
produces toxic water. I've seen this happen over and over after tropical systems have hit. Hopefully it wont kill the crabs and other fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts