2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know I never by the "CHEESE" or exta service plan as they call it at some of the electronic stores around town. I neve by extended coverage on refrigerators, cars, cameas anything...

For somereason I am debating if I should be an extended ESP for the new Plasma I got. I just can't see if it is worth it. I invested 3K, and they want $550 for the service plan for 3 years. What to do???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Depends on what type of TV and where the ESP is from. I have a close buddy that is the GM of our local Best Buy and their ESP is top notch. Very quick service, little questions, and replacement of equal value if a problem can't be fixed and/or is discontinued. I'd also do some research on the exact console you're looking at because there might be a history of issues or something that would warrant the ESP. I've been in sales all my life and sell equipment about the same price range as your talking about. Our quivelant to an ESP for a $3k piece of merchandice is about $900, so, $500 isn't out of the question for a $3500 TV.

Just like I tell my customers, if you ever had to use it, you'll be VERY glad you had it.

TFM
 

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
Joined
·
21,165 Posts
Why should a plasma be treated any different than the rest of the stuff? All wise shoppers say don't buy it but to each his/her own. Whatever you feel comfortable in doing go for it.
 

·
fish control my brain
Joined
·
7,705 Posts
Buy It !

My dads went out after 3 months of use

He didnt buy the extended plan, the Manfactures Warntty. coverd the repairs but it took 2 week before they could come out.

If he had the extended plan they would have been out with-in 48 hours

He is kicking himself in the butt for not buying the plan while making the original purchase

BTW
He and I never buy extended wartty.

BUT
With so many issues with these new TV's it is a good Idea to get one
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,560 Posts
Muddskipper said:
Buy It !

My dads went out after 3 months of use

He didnt buy the extended plan, the Manfactures Warntty. coverd the repairs but it took 2 week before they could come out.

If he had the extended plan they would have been out with-in 48 hours

He is kicking himself in the butt for not buying the plan while making the original purchase

BTW
He and I never buy extended wartty.

BUT
With so many issues with these new TV's it is a good Idea to get one
So you would pay $550 extra to have the repair person come out 2 weeks earlier? You should've told them that on the phone! They would have rang your doorbell while you were still on the line with them! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,635 Posts
I got the 5 year on my sony bigscreen and am glad I did. I had them come out 3 different times. 2 of the times were to take it apart and clean it. All free. Would have added up to over $1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
thefishingmusician said:
Just like I tell my customers, if you ever had to use it, you'll be VERY glad you had it.

TFM
Same thing i tell mine.. I just sold a 42" plasma today and they got the 5 year. 75% of buyers Buy esp from our store if they are buying a plasma or micro display tv..

And yes if you have to use it your going to be glad you had it.. I service call can well exceed 500 buxs on a plasma..
 

·
One day at a time!!
Joined
·
810 Posts
Same thing i tell mine.. I just sold a 42" plasma today and they got the 5 year. 75% of buyers Buy esp from our store if they are buying a plasma or micro display tv..

And yes if you have to use it your going to be glad you had it.. I service call can well exceed 500 buxs on a plasma..
75% of the buyers at your store may buy it, but how many actually use it.

I used to work at Best Buy and personally I think those things are a rip-off. That is where they make a good portion of their money and that is why they push them so hard. When you are in training there you are trained to sell the service plans, not the merchandise. Most of the merchadise sells itself, your job is to get them to spend the extra money on service plans. The emplyee will most likely give you the speech about how they don't work on commission and this and that, but what they don't tell you is how they are graded on the amount of service plans they sell. It might as well be commission because if you're not selling and pushing your service plans your hours will usually drop and you will feel it in your paycheck.

IMO, you are more likely to have problems after that 3 year period than you are within. There are a few cases where the products would come back into our store, but a lot more often than not the plans go un-used. I bought my TV when I worked there and could have gotten a significant discount on the plan and refused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,095 Posts
raw10628 said:
75% of the buyers at your store may buy it, but how many actually use it.

I used to work at Best Buy and personally I think those things are a rip-off. That is where they make a good portion of their money and that is why they push them so hard. When you are in training there you are trained to sell the service plans, not the merchandise. Most of the merchadise sells itself, your job is to get them to spend the extra money on service plans. The emplyee will most likely give you the speech about how they don't work on commission and this and that, but what they don't tell you is how they are graded on the amount of service plans they sell. It might as well be commission because if you're not selling and pushing your service plans your hours will usually drop and you will feel it in your paycheck.

IMO, you are more likely to have problems after that 3 year period than you are within. There are a few cases where the products would come back into our store, but a lot more often than not the plans go un-used. I bought my TV when I worked there and could have gotten a significant discount on the plan and refused.
yes your right that is where they make their money.. And I have to teach my guys on how to sell them... we arent as big as best buy so I dont know how your esp works but when a tv breaks that we sold and its under warrenty they call us.. And ive seen the warrentys used..Not very often but im sure they are glad when they are covered..Plus my company sells a extra year of warrenty for only 9.99. for those people that dont buy it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,847 Posts
I figure if the seller/manufacturer thinks I need a service plan on their product in the first year I own it, then I don't buy their product.
What kind of warranty does a $3000.+ TV come with? Do they have different shows on them or something? LOL
 

·
One day at a time!!
Joined
·
810 Posts
kenny said:
I figure if the seller/manufacturer thinks I need a service plan on their product in the first year I own it, then I don't buy their product.
What kind of warranty does a $3000.+ TV come with? Do they have different shows on them or something? LOL
That kind of goes along with what I was trying to say. Your not buying the plan from the manufacturer, you are getting it from the retailer, they are the one's that really push it. The manufacturer usually offers one year. So basically you are paying for a 2 year plan instead of the 3 that they advertise and sell you.
 

·
Rain Rain Go AWAY
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am leaning this way

raw10628 said:
75% of the buyers at your store may buy it, but how many actually use it.

I used to work at Best Buy and personally I think those things are a rip-off. That is where they make a good portion of their money and that is why they push them so hard. When you are in training there you are trained to sell the service plans, not the merchandise. Most of the merchadise sells itself, your job is to get them to spend the extra money on service plans. The emplyee will most likely give you the speech about how they don't work on commission and this and that, but what they don't tell you is how they are graded on the amount of service plans they sell. It might as well be commission because if you're not selling and pushing your service plans your hours will usually drop and you will feel it in your paycheck.

IMO, you are more likely to have problems after that 3 year period than you are within. There are a few cases where the products would come back into our store, but a lot more often than not the plans go un-used. I bought my TV when I worked there and could have gotten a significant discount on the plan and refused.
I tend to agree. I worked at one of these stores. I don't want to bring up the name, however we use to refer to the ESP or extendended service plan as "the cheese". I think I will decline it.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top