2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I decided to send my 2 Chronarchs to the factory in California for a good teardown and cleaning. I have done my own cleaning of both reels for the past 5 years and thought that sending them in every 5 years would be a good idea. I had planned to send in my Curados after I got the Chronarchs back.
They came back in about 3-4 weeks. They had replaced a couple of gears at a very reasonable price and I was very satisfied.
After a couple of fishing trip (salt water), the first reel started squeeking. I tore it down and found the large non-reverse gear was full of rust and NO OIL at all. I tore the other reel down (hadn't used it) and found it to be exactly the same.
The reels are fine, now that I greased the bearings and washed all the rust out. I do my own reel cleaning now. That's what cold weather is for.
Anyone else ever have this problem? I was expecting a very professional cleaning job from the Shimano shop. Didn't get it BUT they are still the best reels on the market, as far as I am concerned!

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
We serviced the reels and they came back with the anti reverse bearings rusted? They do not require much lube. They may even appear to be dry. Excessive lubrication will cause the bearings to slip.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one I used rusted after 2 trips. Yes, I lightly clean my reels after every trip. Never had a problem with the bearing until I had the reels cleaned in California. The reel started squeeking on the 3rd trip. The problem was rust had formed in the non-reverse bearing. I removed it and cleaned all the rust out. I thought I might need to replace it, but it seems OK.
I checked the other reel and it had no lubricant that I could tell. I lubricated it with XR1 and have not had a problem with it.
I think the reel was cleaned with a solvent to remove all the old grease/oil and that particular bearing was never greased or oiled when it was put back together.
I grease this bearing lightly and have never had a slipping problem.
Like I said, best reels I have ever used! I was just dissapointed in the cleaning I paid for.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Like I said we do not use much lubricant to prevent the bearing from slipping. More than liekly the bearing was replaced when it came here for service. If you are not happy then you can send the reels back to us and we will take a look at them and make them right.

·
Banned
419 Posts
I'm getting ready to send my 50 Mg off today for repair. I noticed that it was kind of jerky when reeling in. I had it cleaned and repaired last year. I guess I'll just have to send it in about once a year to get serviced. I do not run water over my reels to clean them after fishing. I was told not to do that as it just forces stuff into the real. I have just been whiping them off with a damp rag after fishing. I did oil the leverwind before each fishing trip. I kind of expected the reel to last longer following a complete cleaning at Shimano. I'm a bit dissapointed that it did not last longer.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
You do need to do some maintenance in between sending the reel out for service. A light rinse followed by drying it off with a towel is good. You can remove the spool and clean the tight spots with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. If you are close to Houston I suggest going to the Holder show in March. We have technicians on hand to show you how to maintain your reels.

·
Banned
419 Posts
I'll plan on doing that. Also, I have been told NOT to try and dissamble those reels yourself, but taking the spool out and cleaning and lubing it should be fine. I can take apart an Ambassador in the dark (Almost) and get it back together correctly. But I won't try that with a 50 Mg.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You do need to do some maintenance in between sending the reel out for service. A light rinse followed by drying it off with a towel is good. You can remove the spool and clean the tight spots with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. If you are close to Houston I suggest going to the Holder show in March. We have technicians on hand to show you how to maintain your reels.
What is the Holder show??Dates?? Gotta be in Houston in March.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would suggest bring them to the FTU shop. We charge 22.50 for labor + the price of any parts. Takes about 2 weeks and the reel will feel like new and look like new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts