2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting quite a few f/32 landscapes this weekend it was apparent that I could no longer put off cleaning my sensor. At Cutter's recommendation, I purchased the Copperhill kit for a couple weeks ago, but have been a little apprehensive about using it.

I took a shot yesterday afternoon of the blue sky at f/32. I opened it in PS and used auto levels and then turned up the sharpening. There were over 80 separate specks of dusk and a fiber clearly visible.

I used the kit as directed and reshot. I would say it removed 85-90% of the alien matter, which is about as advertised for the first cleaning. I'll be doing it again this evening and then I should be in good shape again.

If you have a DSLR and change lenses regularly I'm afraid eventually you'll have to learn how to do this. Either that or you'll spend alot of money to have a professional do it for you at $100 a pop. It's really not a big deal.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I am a big chicken and will probably just get it done occasionally. At the rate I am taking pictures these days (pretty slow) it will not be an issue!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'll open the mirror and blow mine out, but won't touch the sensor. doing this regularly has always kept mine clean. I'll take it to the shop on Richmond once a year for a real cleaning, which is $60. For a $5k camera, I'd rather pay $60 and let someone else be responsible for touching the sensor. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya...

fishphoto said:
I'll open the mirror and blow mine out, but won't touch the sensor. doing this regularly has always kept mine clean. I'll take it to the shop on Richmond once a year for a real cleaning, which is $60. For a $5k camera, I'd rather pay $60 and let someone else be responsible for touching the sensor. Just my opinion...
I was using a bulb on mine as well, but these were stuck on. Eventually, (3) tries later the Eclipse dissolved them. I can see it through the progression of shots. I bet I'd be real shaky if I did your model Nikon!!!

·
www.RipCharts.com
1,855 Posts
Congrats on getting the sensor cleaned RB. Its not too scarey after you have done it a couple of times. I dont get too quesy if I think about cleaning mine now (maybe thats a bad thing, I dunno).

However, I do see brett's perspective.. if its gonna get messed up, let someone else be responsible!! :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
fishphoto said:
Yep I have some dust on my Pentax Ds. I open it up and just blow it away. Mike on Richmond is good at repair work.

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
Where does one buy the Coppherill Kit? I just checked my Brand new Canon 30D I bought yesterday, and it is appalling the amount of crud on the sensor. My 1.5 yr old 10D is almost spotless in comparison. BillS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts