Freeports Surfside Marina...
Any comments welcomed, good or bad
thanks in advance
Fast Eddie

·
www.DeniedClaim.com
86 Posts
Check the cost(s)

I understand the taxes and/or costs are bad if you keep the boat down there too long...

I travel there....and have thought about putting a boat down there...let me know how it turns out...

Lastly, I understand they have a new marina in Papagayo (just a 30 minute drive from Liberia Airport - which happens to have direct flights from Houston).

Good luck!

·
Bad seas make good captains
3,306 Posts
Hire a Captain!

Hire a captain with International expertise to take your boat to port! Any captain with international knowlege will do all the paper work for your vessel, and get you the right flags. They will get your credentials and all of your paper work in order, both U.S. and Local. I recomend you look at BoatUs.com for local knowlege skippers, and let them help you with the Coasta Rican Government permits, and registration. Once you establish that... the rest is easy! Don't forget about the Homeland Security docs. for a U.S. registered vessel abroad! Good Luck, and Good fishing!

Privateer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Okay guys this is the deal...I want to send my
boat to Los Suenos in the spring and I want your
opinions...these are my reasons
1. I get tons on frequent flyer miles so
traveling is very inexpensive.
2. Seas are more predictable and can now
take the family without the worries of high seas
and long runs to catch the "big one"
3. Los suenos has dry stackstorage,
which keeps my boat from having to be maintained
as much...and about the same costs as
Freeports Surfside Marina...
Any comments welcomed, good or bad
thanks in advance
Fast Eddie
All the above is true but...

While, I love having a business and boats in CR. And wouldn't change it, Beware!

First, the marina and the gov. of CR have got you once your there so be prepared to pay! They know you can't go anywhere once your there. I doubt the price they are quoting is what you 'll be paying later. While labor is cheaper, parts or shipping them in are a minimum of 35% higher. Also, if your papers aren't in order or you do any charters, this can include friends paying (remember CR laws, not here) you can be kicked out of the marina and lose your money. It has happened and yes plenty of people still do it, but just letting you know the rules. So many people get there and say I din't know.

Think a head how are you going to get your boat back to the U.S. when your done. A U.S. boat can't stay there for ever. We have all CR reg. boats. It takes about a year no matter what they tell you, and 33% of the value of the boat THAT THEY DETERMINE! trust me if it were easy and painless everyone would do it. There is no better place on earth than CR for fishing! But, they get yo coming and going. If you think you can sell the boat when your done good luck! Have several friends that thought that and after years of trying to sell still can't and they are practically giving the boats away.

A couple of other notes! CR is full of rumors about everything. Believe only what you see in writing. Hire a good lawyer to work with you who is from CR. They can be priceless.

If it were me, I would still do it.....but keep your boat here. Buy something cheap with papers already there. Get a good lawyer there to triple check everything. No offense, but if you can't afford to buy a second boat for there..... then you can't afford to do it. And if you would have sent your original boat you would have sooner or later lost a ton of money.

Just trying to tell the truth. Some times the truth hurts. I love the place and love fishing there. Buy the way Golfito, where we are has so much better fishing! Everytime I go it is still like a dream, but that dream is at a big cost!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just buy one there that is legal allready. There are a bunch for sale at Los Suenos.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
There are a few boats for sale in Los Suenos - but be forewarned, many say 'TAXES NOT PAID." The Cabo 35 looks great though!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I would love to have a boat there also. However, I bet you can come out ahead by chartering local boats. I have been fishing with the same guys for about ten years now. All I need to do is send an email get the arrangements back and off I go. Everything is handled for me. They know how I like to fish and accommodate me very well. (Felipe w/ Good Day Team)

Good luck in your quest. It would be awesome if you can make it work!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Freespool is right on.
If you do not get the visa for your boat you will have to remove it from the country every 90 days. If you get the visa then they are good for a year. Sometimes they are renewed. sometimes they are not. If you own property it is easier. if the boat stays then they want the taxes which I think is 30 to 35% of the cost of the boat.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Howdy Fast Eddie,

all I can say is--

When U an Ms. J get yalls boat down there,

Yall keep me n da wife on your

"CREW WANTED/NEEDED
FOR DAY or 2 OF FISH'N"

list

Good to see you and Ms. J are still think'n about doing it..

TTYL

Hog

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
No worries, I'll show you how to catch fish on that boat here in Texas. ;)

Brandon
Oh, B what are you going to do in your 30's. What is the name of that movie? " I know what you did last summer"

Help me, help you. Show me the money!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
579 Posts
As someone said earlier,,,,

"CR is full of rumors. Don't believe anything except what you see in writing."

As someone who owned more than one homein CR in the past ten years I would suggest, not only don't believe rumors but only believe 1/2 of what you see in writing. Remember, CR is really not that friendly to gringos doing business there and courts will rule in favor of a Tico in 99% of all cases regardless of the facts.

I have built two homes in CR and done a lot of business there and love it but it ain't the U.S.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Dry stack it in Islamorada for the winter, & spend your days fishing the keys. Around $30 more a month for my 24 footer, compared to dry stacking it here. If you have the miles, then it's no problem. I have more miles than anyone here, & am looking into it seriously now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts