2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Come and Take it
Majek Xtreme 22’ w/225 SHO
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what I thought was just a small leak due to a seal, I looked closer at the piston and I see some definite pitting and imperfections. This is the original steering that was installed on this boat (boat is a 2013 Majek Xtreme). I’m looking at replacing it with the newer version of this model by Seastar. Anybody have any tips, advice etc? I’m hoping I can just swap this old one out with the new one. Thanks fellas. Happy Monday.

Automotive tire Luggage and bags Bag Automotive design Computer keyboard

Font Screenshot Automotive exterior Auto part Logo

·
Come and Take it
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Plant Hood
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread
Smile Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tree

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Carbon Crankset

So I found time in my schedule to do it myself. Mechanic was gonna charge about $300 for labor. I had purchased the parts and inspected the rod again and it was actually in great shape.

Took about 2 hours for me to change the seals and bleed the system of all the air. Gotta give my 5 year old boy credit for helping me with handing tools and keeping me hydrated.

Super smooth job and glad I did it myself. Been awhile since I broke out the tools and worked on something. Guess that’s how life goes sometimes when ya get busy. Now we’re ready to hit the water! 🤙🏼

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That is exactly the kit that we use. Most times, it goes easy like yours did, but not always. The old end caps with four holes have crappy seals. The new ones are much better. Biggest trick is getting all the air out of system.

·
Come and Take it
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s something your son will probably never forget,, helping you. AAnd he learned something about tools , persistance and patience. Good job, Dad!
The purge did take some time to get it all out but luckily I had plenty of beverages in the fridge and good tunes. The process went a little slower too because I was explaining to my son what we were doing and why. It was a lot fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts