2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jsut bought my first offshore boat, it's a 23' Sea Ox with a Volvo Penta Diesel AQ40D with 280 outdrive. The bout is in good shape just needs cleaning and some new hardware. Any body out there have any experience with this type set up? What kind of fuel burn should I expect out of a diesel? I would think diesel would do pretty well as far as GPH goes. Can't wait to get her cleaned up and head offshore!!!!

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to upload a picture but it said the file was to large. I will mostly be fishing out of Freeport. I have lots of cleaning to do and I need to purchase a sonar unit. Anybody know were I could find a good used color unit?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am looking at a 26 foot MercPanga that they sell in California http://www.allisonmarine.com/Apex_panga/26%20Panga%20page.htm . It has a 120 hp supercharged diesel in it and they claim 400 miles on 80 gallons at cruise. I have spoken to a guy out there that confirms those numbers and said it will run 30 mph with his t-top and his 30 gallon live well with 3 on board. I am suspicious of the ride it would provide in the northern gulf. This guy says it is great, but what isn't on the Pacific?

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by the person I bought the Sea Ox from that it burns 6 gph at 24 knots. However there is not a floscan on the boat so I don't know if this is true. Is there diferent floscan units for diesel and gas? I know there is a different one for outboards versus i/o.

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Yes they are different units. Diesels have return fuel flow from the engine to the tank. That 6 gph sounds about right to me.

I store and fish out of Freeport. Planning to go down Saturday to finish the current list of chores on my boat.

I know! should have gotten them done long time ago, but that is a different story!

Send a pm if you are going to be down Saturday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts