2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,505 Posts
Ya that one is sketchy and when the water is low you better be throttled down and jacked up, I usually take a right or left into Dewberry or Shoalwater so I don't use that exit often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been silted in for awhile now. I've tried to make that cut in a Pathfinder 2400V (with a jack plate) several times over the years, and have only made in through about 1/4 of the time... If you have a skiff/tunnel, you may be able to make it, but with a shallow-vee I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My understanding is the Corps won’t touch it, and the only reason it used to be deeper was a guy who used to run a shrimp boat through there would dredge it himself every year. That guy is gone now, so no dredging and its silting in. I personally won’t run it unless the tide is up. When its low you need a RFL with a TRP or an airboat to get through there confidently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it wont get dredged pay attention to the NOAA water depth gauge at sea drift .. if the .30 or lower its sketchy for the V-hulls to get over it.. I've run over it at .18 in my 19 shoal water cat .. kissing sand the entire time
Thanks for the heads up. I run a Majek Texas Slam and I had severe pucker factor getting through it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
NOAA put up a water depth gauge on the bulkhead at Charlies some time back. Last time I fished it was gone.
Birddog is right, less than . 30 foot and you will have a hard time with the cut, shoalwater,and the lagoon.
Dale

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,704 Posts
I wish we could get a goFundMe together and collect up funds to have it dregded. I would imagine it would be a pain in the rear and need permits etc. We love fishing that area and would love to have it opened again. I guess someone would have to be willing to be in charge. Anyone ever done something similar legally and know what it would take?

found this digging some:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish we could get a goFundMe together and collect up funds to have it dregded. I would imagine it would be a pain in the rear and need permits etc. We love fishing that area and would love to have it opened again. I guess someone would have to be willing to be in charge. Anyone ever done something similar legally and know what it would take?

found this digging some:
I love fishing out of this area. And I am going to start making some phone calls - I will keep this updated we need to do things so our kid and grand kids can enjoy what we got to enjoy.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,704 Posts
It's probably a fairly monumental task to get done, assuming you have to deal with tons of federal and state permits and paperwork. It does seem like, from what I have read in summation, if someone in O&G wanted to dredge it, it would be an easy process with no permits required beyond what they already had. The issue with that is the wells that used to be out in front of Contee aren't there anymore, so probably no one would be interested in helping. Maybe 2cool has some posters in O&G with existing permits statewide. Who knows? Surely someone out there has done something like this before. I can't see it being that uncommon to need to dredge to re-open a navigational channel.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,085 Posts
It's my understanding it was never dredged.....just the shrimper that worked for or near Charlies would nose in and prop wash it as needed for years and years.....tore up his boat or prop in the process.....therefore stopped doing it.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,704 Posts
It's my understanding it was never dredged.....just the shrimper that worked for or near Charlies would nose in and prop wash it as needed for years and years.....tore up his boat or prop in the process.....therefore stopped doing it.
Man...this makes me sad, I really enjoy running that cut to get out. We're in a boat presently that used to do OK through there with the jack plate up and TRP. Then we had to replace TRP lower unit during covid and could only get a single. I am not sure how well it is going to handle that now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts