2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing the Seabrook-La Port area. Very slow overall but picked up a couple
of trout here and there. Best action was late today. I had 4 major blow ups boated 2 lost a big one at the boat and had one on for about 10 seconds. She ran right to the boat and I couldn't reel in fast enough to keep up with her before she spit the TD out. All caught on TD Jr Char/Blk.

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
you keep fishing my backyard we will become good friends..wanted to make that trip this morning but the yard needed mowing before the rain's set in..Thanks for the report..

·
Registered
469 Posts
where you from, i'm in la porte? Ifish that area a lot, not much lately though...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From Clear Lake

I'm from the CLear Lake Area. Work in the La port & Deer Park Area.
Your right it has been real slow. I fished all day for those 13 blow-ups and some days it's skunksvill. I have heard of live shrimp working a lot better in recent weeks. I mainly thow top waters and occationaly assassins.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Mullet,
It's interesting the way really big trout seem to know to run straight at you to get enough slack to throw the hook, guess that's how they get to be big trout!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Major Blow up

Kenny,
I lost another big one to day. When she hit, it looked like someone dropped a toilet in the water. I didn't see the initial blow up as I was loking at someone going by but I saw and heard the commotion. It grabbed the TD and reeled of 10 yds of line and then slack. It broke one of the tines off the front treble. I just put new hooks on it. It is the same old lure I've been using for over 2 years. I'm gonna loose it some day and it's going to hurt. That's why I use Power Pro with 30lb shock leader. I've had two other on deck in case I do. I'm very supersticious about what I fish with and always say a prayer before I make my first cast.
The weather is cooling down September is here, the funs about to start.
I will be hitting West Bay heavy soon. Look for a 17' Shoalwater Sport w/90hp Johnson.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Power Pro

Well that may be another part of your problem. I got taken by the power pro wave earlier this year. It works great for throwing topwaters with no line stretch. The problem is losing big fish. Not having that extra little bit of stretch that helps buffer violent head shakes big trout are known for, causes many lost fish. Imagine what happens when she shakes her head. She creates small amounts of slack and then thrashes into that slack line that gives none and opens the holes the hooks are embedded in. I lost several 25" plus fish earlier this year, a few in tournaments. I finally said to hell with it. Those big girls are hard enough to land, don't need the line helping them get off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It may not be the line that is causing you to lose fish. I smash the barbs down on the hooks and on some baits change to J-hooks. Either way I smash the barbs. As fish is fighting, barb is creating a big and bigger hole in lip till hook just comes out. This happens regardless of what type of line you use esp. with bigger TROUT. Barb was designed to hold live bait on hook if not using live bait don't need barb. Also I use 20lb. leaders about 18 inches with Power Pro, less with mono. I found Power Pro to be best when fishing colder water.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Power pro.

I jynxed my self. This morning while still dark started throwing the old she dog at the outflow from the small bridge just north of the clear lake outlet. The power pro got a small snag and I lost my old favorite lure. I heard it hit. Then immediately threw a popping cork where it landed. I found the cork but not the *****. The tide had taken it about 1/2 mile out before I found it. I'm trashing the power pro. I like the action and the less work but I agree it might not be giving enough flex for aggressive fish.

·
Registered
43 Posts
power pro

I have been using power pro for awhile now... i have found that the power pro(most super lines for that fact) work better in my spinning reel.. i have found it to cast much smoother and farther than my baitcaster, with out getting knotted on itself or digging into the reel line as much.. still love my baitcaster, i use a good mono most of the time with it.. super line on spinning reel..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts