2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the Space Shuttle launch and things got to the normal ops mode I slide out and ran over to the flats to see if there were any flat fish to be had. Didn't find any flat fish (might have quit trying too soon) but there were trout there and hungry. First couple hit punkinseed and char Norton Minnow worked slow. I then switched to a BA in the same color and the fish got bigger. A couple in the 20+ range. I was turning them all go as there is enough trout in the old freezer. To see if there were any bigger out there I switched to my favorite big trout bait, a Corky in Day Glow. The forth cast it was slammed hard and a big orange mouth broke water. It was a great fight but the big sow decided to end it before I was ready. Didn't get a good look at her, but judging from the size of her mouth she had to be 25+. Had the Corky hammered two more times one of which was a 23.5 fat trout and the other was the biggest croaker I ever caught. It measured almost 17" and I was tempted to keep it just for a picture but opted to set her free.

Over the years I have always caught a few trout on the flats but nothing like the two hours before dark yesterday. I lost count but I am sure if I had been keeping fish I would have been very close to a limit.

P.S. The grass is still not mowed so don't tell the wife I slipped away and got a line wet before heading home......LOL

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Good report. We came back from dinner and I always drive down the Lagoon, sat and watched the waders get several hookups. The fish were feeding as we saw several pods of bait poping/ I wanted to go grab a rod but the family had other ideas....I know my wife saw the look in my eyes as we drove off. LOL

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm thinking of hitting the Flats this weekend. Thanks for the report. I usually target flatties, but it sounds like the fresh water has pushed the trout in there.

·
Team Grizzly
667 Posts
Where are the seabrook flats at? I live pretty close to that and like to make afternoon wades and night trips from time to time. Is it safe for me to wade there at night? I just discovered night top water fishing and so far it has become my new favorite.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
There are a couple of places where you can park to access the flats, both are on Todville Road. One is close to the seafood markets with ample parking and access to both the flats and the lagoon. This area will be east of Pier 8 across the little bridge on Todville. The other is at the end of second street, take a left on Todville and look to your left for parking. You can then walk across Todville and access the flats. There are underwater obstacles that you want to be cautious of but, wading at night is doable. I would suggest wearing a headlamp, walking slowly and shuffling your feet! The flats have a sandy firm bottom with scattered shell. If you need more detailed directions PM me or you can invest in a Hot Spots map that will give you many places where you can drive to for an afternoon/evening wade session.
Night Trout said:
Where are the seabrook flats at? I live pretty close to that and like to make afternoon wades and night trips from time to time. Is it safe for me to wade there at night? I just discovered night top water fishing and so far it has become my new favorite.

Reactions: EarlyBronco

·
Team Grizzly
667 Posts
Thanks Silverspoon I have a couple hot Spot maps so I will look it up there. Im new to arti. fishing and trying to find new spots other than the surf. I reciently caught a 25'' trout on a bone/char. super spook jr. and that was all it took now im hooked.
Thanks for the help.

·
Fishing expert, but not catching expert.
345 Posts
98.9% of the time I fish is the Seabrook flats and lagoon. You will rarely get the numbers but there are always fish biting there. It's hard to come home with no fish.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
im not really familiar with the area but i drive home from work and go over the kehma bridge( from tx city to baytown) every day around 6:30 and see people wading to the right. is this the place your talking about? if so just how deep does it get? can you wade all the way around from the road to the grass area? everyday i wish i had my rod in the truck just to stop for a while and throw some arties! thanks

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Outstanding, Derek ... glad you had a good wade. Kudos on the C&R. We've caught a few good flounder a little further south from there in late June, so don't give up on 'em. If it's not too fresh for trout, the flatties will be there.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Night Trout said:
In addition to Top Spot (or Hot Spot) maps, can't remember the old from new name, you may also want to check out Ray Crawford's books ... he's a local. I think they may also be available at FTU. Of course, you probably can't get any better info than that from board members. ;)

http://www.texascoastalfishingbooks.com/uppercoastbook.html

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Capt John used to post pics and info almost every night about the hugh reds and trout caught off his pier.

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pelican said:
Outstanding, Derek ... glad you had a good wade. Kudos on the C&R. We've caught a few good flounder a little further south from there in late June, so don't give up on 'em. If it's not too fresh for trout, the flatties will be there.
Well I was going to return this afternoon for a repeat, but after seeing Clear Creek almost out of its banks I bet it is starting to get too fresh. As I said, that was not my normal wade trip on the flats. Have always picked up a few specks but never any number (most are good sized). The flats have always been real good for flounder, and sometimes reds. I'm thinking my timing was perfect, as the fresh water had all the trout from Clear Lake stacked up on the flats. I might be wrong, but it is a thought.

Looks like we may try a wade this afternoon in the TC Dike area, if the weather lets us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts