2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were doing a bit of work on my boat at the Galveston Yacht Basin when this guy swam up to us and decided to hang out. He was moving kinda awkwardly and had an unusual amount of growth on his shell. He let us just pick him up. We called the turtle people with NOAA and they came and got him. They said he shouldn't be in that close with the weather this cold and would not make it if he stayed. They agreed with the excessive growth on the top of his shell and that maybe he was also injured or sick. Pretty cool though and glad we found him before this freeze coming in did.

Attachments

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
I'm surprised that the turtle folks didn't say thank you, very much, but here's your ticket for touching an endangered sea turtle. It is against the law to pick them up, don't ya know.

·
"It's good to be...Me" ><)))'>
15,143 Posts
Some people can't just say "good job" they have to show their arse...

Anyway..GOOD JOB !...green to you sir !

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We actually thought about that but decided to grab it anyhow. Push come to shove gimme a ticket. It was COLD, I'd never seen one just swimming that far in, and something just didn't seem right with him. Plus we were on the phone pretty quick and they told us to get him out of the water if we were able to. (We already had for a few min.) They said the water was too cold for him where we were. They also did a great job getting there quickly.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
We actually thought about that but decided to grab it anyhow. Push come to shove gimme a ticket. It was COLD, I'd never seen one just swimming that far in, and something just didn't seem right with him. Plus we were on the phone pretty quick and they told us to get him out of the water if we were able to. (We already had for a few min.) They said the water was too cold for him where we were. They also did a great job getting there quickly.
You did good saving that cute little fella. Just let us know if we need to knock a knot on the head of any PETA no-good-doers.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
You didn't say that they told you to remove it from the water which makes it okay to handle it. People generally do not realize just how much trouble they can get into when trying to help critters that are considered endangered.

It is great that you knew how to contact the biologists through NOAA. Most people would not have known that.

Bocephus, you obviously missed the sarcasm in my post.

·
Registered
121 Posts
good job

Good work Gooner. For those that may not know, here in Texas the 24 hr pager for sea turtles is 1-866-TURTLE-5

Dolphins/whales is 1-800-9MAMMAL

Both groups take reports on the animals, dead or alive, and both will come out and help out a live one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts