2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pitchindad
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my steering hose connections is leaking. The stainless steel elbow that threads into the cyclinder is leaking. The elbow got jammed and bent when the motor was trimmed up with the jack plate down.
The threads were the elbow screws into the cyclinder is strpped. Now for the question. How do I bleed the system completely so that any metal from the stripped threads doesn't get into the system? I already ordered a new cyclinder and got a replacement elbow.
Has anyone else had to bleed the complete system? If you did, did you reuse the fluid after straining the fluid through a screen to get any trash out of it?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If i i was installing a new system i would use new fluid. Should be some new info with your new cylinder on how to bleed the system properly. I think a new bottle of fluid is about $20 and i dont think you will need any more then two of them.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just turn the wheel back and fourth with the connections off of the cylinder until no more fluid comes out. I just did this on my seastar system about 2 months ago. And you shouldn't need more than 1 quart of fluid if it is a regular system for a 20' TO 24' BOAT. Youcan by the fluid at boaters world for about 14.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts