2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i can handle it wen its flat but if the waves are over 2-3ft im done i take dramamine but that barely helps is there like a cure or something else i can try i heard there are some type of shots u can take from the doctor i dn if thats true thats wat i heard. can some one plz help cuz i really like offshore fishing alot but getting sea sick holds me back because its probably the worst feeling ever.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k well i was looking on the internet and it siad ginger pills are very effective. i also came across Scapolamine its a proscribed by a doctor its a patch u put it behind ur ear has anyone tried Scapolamine that is said to be the best cure to sea sickness and it last 3 days.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The patch you put behind your ear works the best. I will 100% guarantee that they will not let you get sea sick. The brand patch that i have used when it is rough is transderm scop. Its a prescription. Nothing beets this stuff. The only side effect is dry mouth.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I have to use shots when I venture past the jetties. I used to fish with a pharmacist when I was younger and have tried almost anything available. The only thing that works for me are the Phenegran 25mg, dose of .5-1.0 ml. This is what you get at the hosp. when you are nauseaus but it might make you a little drowsy for a while. She also gave me 25mg pills in case I want to try those first. The syringes they gave me are not that small and it's something you really have to want to do (giving yourself a shot) but for those that have been seasick, we're more than willing to take a shot to get over it.
My problem is all in my head I think, I've been sick in slick sea conditions. Boat size does not matter to me either, I started getting sick on a cruise ship, that's how I discovered the shots.
If you don't want to give yourself a shot, just get a Rx for the pills and try that.
good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so looks like im gonna go to the doctors and see wat i need to do im gonna ask about the Scopolamine,that wrist band u were talking about,adn that Phenegran. thanks for all ur help ur helping me get back on the water were i belong :)

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
relief band, I have only heard good things about it. I heard they were on sale for $50 somewhere, maybe on jammers post. anyway, I am headed WAY south right now so I will see you turds on the flip side.

·
JP
548 Posts
FALCO said:
k well i was looking on the internet and it siad ginger pills are very effective. i also came across Scapolamine its a proscribed by a doctor its a patch u put it behind ur ear has anyone tried Scapolamine that is said to be the best cure to sea sickness and it last 3 days.
THE BEST i get sick in 1' but with that patch i was fine with 3'-4'all u have to do is call ur doc dont even go and ask if they can call it in they will be more than happy to and put it on 4-6 hrs b4 u go out and u will be fine also if ur insurance doesnt cover it it cost like 30 bucks for 4 patches but its worth the ood time to me...

·
Banned
204 Posts
I use the patch behind the ear and have never gotten sick and have been in everything up to 12 ft. seas. Took the wife and daughters and two sons last two years and they wore the patches and never got sick. One of the girls and the wife get car sick on occasion but with the patch we spent the whole day on the water with no problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Argo, are you referring to the bands/watch-like apparatus that (as I understand it) gives you a constant but small electrical charge through the skin and wards off the "plague"? Haven't heard much out of them. Have they just not caught on yet or are they not very effective?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try dramimne the night before - have plenty of water as it dehydrates you.
Drink little or no alcohol the night before.
No caffeine the morning of departure. Have a little toast before you go.
It is a mental thing as well - if you fear it and obsess about it, you'll end up with it.

If I have a passenger who is getting a little green, I let them drive the boat for awhile and this will get them on their feet, getting their "sea legs", and gets their mind off it because they are thinking about something else.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The relief bands will work for about 1/2 the people (my experience), the prescription transderm scope patches seem to work for everyone that can handle odd motion but cause a healthy thirst, some people just can't do it at all. In your case I would recommend the relief band and set it at a low setting before you ever get out of the jetties, increase the setting as you need.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts