2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and three others are heading out to the middle banks tomorrow out of Freeport, and I don't usually get seasick, but I'd rather not let it ruin the trip for any of us. What would help us to avoid this.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
If you look at the Freeport webcam you will see that it is very flat and most likely the same tom. I don't think there will much of a chance of anyone getting seasick. Personally I think 90% of seasickness is in a persons head. The only time I have felt bad was when I have taken dramamine.

I don't think I have anyone take any Dramamine unless they started getting sick after you are offshore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the water is looking great. I will probably get some dramamine to take along just in case. Now just to worry about the 115 degree heat index.

Thanks yall. Any other suggestions for future reference?

Chris

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have seen more people get sick after taking dramamine, than I can count. My mom takes Bonine and it seems to work for her.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Bodine. Take one the night before and one the morning of the trip. If you forget to take it the night before, it will not kick in til mid-morning, at the earliest.

Then there is nature's own anti-seasickness medication. Illegal, but I hear its real effective.

·
Registered
403 Posts
if any body gets sick in the conditions that are forcasted tommorow, we'll just toss em out, b/c they are of no use to us... well maybe as a chum factory. can't wait till the morning hopefully we can find some fish

Justin

·
Registered
437 Posts
A slightly more legal way.....

I'm not sure of the outcomes of it, but when I use to spend 40 and 50 days at sea, I had a captain tell me that he use to get seasick all the time until he started adding ginger to his diet in pill form. Natural settlement for the stomach....

·
Registered
108 Posts
My buddy got sick everytime we went out until Memorial Day weekend. We were out of Port A and the seas were steep 3-5's with 6-7 mixed in. He took dramimine the night before and every four hours after he woke up AND took Ginger pills starting the day before. He was even able to drink beer with me later in the day !!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Drugs

Clarification - Its called Bonine, not Bodine.

The active ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine HCI, which is the SAME THING as DRAMAMINE II (the non Drowsy forumula), which is the SAME THING as Wal-DramII (Walgreen's version of Meclizine HCI.)

I suggest purchasing Wal DramII. It is effective and cheaper option. I recommend NOT using the original dramamine.

I suggest taking ONE tablet the DAY before the trip and one tablet the morning of the trip (once you wake up so it wil have time to get into your system. )

This week will have VERY calm seas. If any prevention, Meclizine should do the trick. In the future, if you are going out on rough seas, I would suggest using Zofran. Zofran is the med that is given to cancer patients during chemo treatment. I would assume that you would need a good relationship with your doctor for him/her to prescribe this drug to you for this purpose.

Other factors that should prevent sea sickness:

1) Get a good night sleep. (I always have problem with this, I have been fishing for years, but I still get excitied the night before fishing, not matter what kind of fishing trip.)
2) Do not drink more than two beers the night before.
3) Do not eat greasy food the night before or in the morning.
4) Eat a quick and small breakfast in the morning.
5) Do not drink beer until the boat is headed back to land.
6) Hydrate yourself good the days before the trip.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
phattuna said:
Other factors that should prevent sea sickness:

1) Get a good night sleep. (I always have problem with this, I have been fishing for years, but I still get excitied the night before fishing, not matter what kind of fishing trip.)
2) Do not drink more than two beers the night before.
3) Do not eat greasy food the night before or in the morning.
4) Eat a quick and small breakfast in the morning.
5) Do not drink beer until the boat is headed back to land.
6) Hydrate yourself good the days before the trip.
It's a good thing I don't get seasick, cause if I could never follow all those rules.

1. Can't get but 2 hours sleep before fishing trip due to excitement
2. blasphemy
3. yea, right
4. does 3 taquitos from whataburger count as quick and small?
5. I'll try
6. So, no water pills?

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
I've never taken any of it. But, from what I've witnessed Bonine is the best. However, if you wait until you are queasy, it's to late. Take something the night before and keep your head up with eyes on the horizon as much as possible.

I also agree, 90% is in your head. When I used to deckhand, I'd have a customer that was a real Pain in the Arse, I could usually talk him into getting sick. Then he would retire to the salon and out of the cockpit. AHHHH RELIEF!!!

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
There's a yahoo

on our boat that used to eat pickles whenever he started 'getting quiet'....

Fixed him right up, but sent me upwind for sure......LOL !

Also used to watch sick divers true up once they got in the water....So grab a mask jump on over ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Equate brand motion sickness pills at Walmart for under $2.00. They even work if you start getting queezy at sea. I don't know if they will work for everyone, but they have never failed anyone on our boat.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Ginger snap cookies

You might buy a couple of boxes of ginger snaps and eat a few the night before and snack on them throughout the day. I used to race sailboats offshore and we always kept some on board for the people that got queezy. Seemed to work for them.
Adios,
Bret

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
Bayduck said:
on our boat that used to eat pickles whenever he started 'getting quiet'....

Fixed him right up, but sent me upwind for sure......LOL !

Also used to watch sick divers true up once they got in the water....So grab a mask jump on over ?
The only time I ever even started gettin quesy, the only thing we had to eat was a granola bar. It seemed to help.

Very true on jumping in the water. It will calm seasickness within minutes. Take a speargun when you go over and get a ling.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The scope patches that you put behind your ear work real well. Only problem is they are prescription only.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
My Dad always used ginger fresh just scrape some off and put it under your tongue

·
Registered
746 Posts
Go with the BONINE. I hate the taste of Ginger...now Mary Ann is a different story.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts