2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday 07/08/06

What a great weeked to be fishing. I skipped work saturday, one day I will get fired for fishing to much. Got to the beach just west of Sea Rim around 6:15. As I drove onto the beach I could see bait getting crushed and Tarpon rolling. Got me just a little exicited. Went about a mile west on the beach, loads of bait getting killed in the first gut. I jump out and almost in a run wade out to the first sandbar. Start casting toward the large schools of bait. I notice that the tarpon are working right down the sandbar.Then some start working between me and the beach. I am surrounded by tarpon, and can not get them to hit anything.

Give up casting to them and try to make some bait. Surfski drives up and we start getting the kayaks rigged. Paddled out about 150 yards and are surrounded by tarpon up to 7'. Free lining live bait and casting diving baits to them. For one reason or another they did not want to hit our baits, but the jack fish were more then willing to eat.

Jolly Roger with a jack fish

Oscar got the pic of te jack as I was coming back to the beach for more bait. Oscar and Anthony were getting kayaks rigged as we made more bait. Pogies were thick in the surf, to the pont that you would catch so many that you could not pick you net up. Made our way back out to a color change about 200 yards offshore. The tarpon were working down the beach west to east just inside the color change in the muddy water. Everyone wanted to land a tarpon bad.We all got a few in the air, and had some come off right at the kayak. But did not land one from the kayak, at least not yet. The tarpon hung around in large numbers until around 10, then they thinned out, but we saw tarpon all day saturday. The bull reds were thick under them and any bait on the bottom for any lenght of time would result in a bull red. I do not know how many bull reds we caught, lost count early in the morning and we caught them all day long.

Surfski with a bull red

Jolly Roger with a bull red

We took a lunch break around one, needed the down time. Once back out we paddle out about 1/2 mile to the color change and set anchor. On the way out we spotted a few triple tail. But the almost flat conditions made it hard to see them from a kayak until it was to late. Once on Anchor I had a triple tail in the 6-8lb range take up a homestead under my kayak. He would slam bait against my hull at times. Made it very hard to take a nap. I hooked up to a good fish that went to the air seven or eight times. He fought like a champ and made up for the tarpon I had missed that morning.

Jolly Roger with a poor mans marlin,

The bull reds never stopped hitting and we caught may more before it was time to pack it in. The tarpon had moved offshore, and were not feeding any longer. The color change was drastic and hints of fresher water was starting to show up. We called it a day around 4 for some needed rest, and get prepared for sunday.

Oscar with a bull red

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sunday 07-09-06

Met up with many people sunday, surf was calm and the pogies were still thick in the surf. The tarpon were feeding just off the beach, but not in the numbers we saw saturday. Rigged kayaks and made our way out 200 yards to the largest area of bait. Lot of jacks working the bait. Did not take long for someone to get hooked up

Justin with a jack fish

The jacks kept crushing bait all around us for a few hours. The tarpon did not hang around long. I stuck a hook into one around 5'. He did not know he was hooked and came right to the kayak. Once he saw me he made a mad dash away and broke off. Lot of bull reds under the schools of bait, but many more gafftops then the day before. They were making fishing difficult. Even on artifical they were hitting every cast. One of the few cast with a MR51 that I did not catch a gafftop, I got a good mac. He measured at 26" and put up a good fight on the light tackle. Bull reds were caught all morning long, along with thousands of gafftops.

cdawg with a bull red

A few thunder heads bulit around us throughout the day, but never got bad. Good color change stayed about 200 yards of the beach most of the day. Myself and others fished until two then call it a day. Overall a great weekend of fishing with most everyone catching fish. Lot of gaftops, jackfish and bull reds. The tarpon were hung on many different baits, with live mullet being the best. Tried artifical for them also, but had very limited success.

Oscar with one of the sunday evenings bull reds

Good to see so many friends on the beach. I had a great time and looking foward to doing it again this coming weekend. Will keep up with where the tarpon are hanging around and maybe this next weekend we can land a few.

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
fun

T.J another great post. i bet that jack was fun. they pull like a horse.
sorry to hear you lost the **** but thats 90 % of time i hear.
i noticed not to many pics of the other guys that were there. who all showed up.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GULFCOASTRODS.NET said:
T.J another great post. i bet that jack was fun. they pull like a horse.
sorry to hear you lost the **** but thats 90 % of time i hear.
i noticed not to many pics of the other guys that were there. who all showed up.
I jumped two tarpon, and had one that was very confused. Getting the hook set in there mouths from a kayak is a little tricky, but think i have it figureed out.

Not many pics from saturday, mostly becasue the fishing did not slow down enough. Many times two or three people would be hooked up on fish at the same time. Think there was around 10 people show up for sunday. Few people were drifting, and got to far for me to get pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts