2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
We used to fish the canal but now typically just watch the fish in the lights. Freelined live shrimp, no weight, no leader - just a hook works best. Typically small fish in the mix. If you use a small circle hook, there is a better chance of not gut hooking little fish. Most of the time you can get one fish out of a light and then you have to wait for them to regroup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We used to fish the canal but now typically just watch the fish in the lights. Freelined live shrimp, no weight, no leader - just a hook works best. Typically small fish in the mix. If you use a small circle hook, there is a better chance of not gut hooking little fish. Most of the time you can get one fish out of a light and then you have to wait for them to regroup.
Thanks. Yeah we are getting a light installed tomorrow. Can’t wait to go down this weekend. I caught a few juvenile trout last Saturday during the day but didn’t have much time to fish. Thanks again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What he said...we call them beer trout - you catch one, take 10 to 15 min to drink a beer then catch another one..rinse and repeat.

I would also try around the marina there and the pilings..fish the bottom with a small splitshot - you will have to battle hardheads and other stuff but flounder like to hang out there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
one other thing..I have a house in Jamaica Beach and have fished the canals for years - something to be very careful of is the Kayakers - a lot of times they have zero lights on their kayaks and can be hard to see. when I see that I am very polite and tell them to light up - most of the time it is kids who just need some education...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one other thing..I have a house in Jamaica Beach and have fished the canals for years - something to be very careful of is the Kayakers - a lot of times they have zero lights on their kayaks and can be hard to see. when I see that I am very polite and tell them to light up - most of the time it is kids who just need some education...
Thanks for your tips. We have a bar down stairs so I think I will like beer trout fishing.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
The closer your canal is to the bay the better, but generally, as mentioned above, you're going to be catching small trout. Also some good sized piggy perch. One thing I like to do is set up a crab trap and a finfish trap. Crab for eating and the finfish for bait, probably for use elsewhere, as the canals don't generally hold big enough fish to eat a 2-3 inch piggy perch.

If you have younger kids, canals are a great way to introduce them to fishing. They don't care if it's bread dough on a tiny hook for piggy perch or a 12" trout on a live shrimp (or better yet, a small paddle tail soft plastic for crappie). My nephew, who's a grown man but new to coastal fishing, will throw small crappie jigs in our lights all night long and be happy to have 3 keepers out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments. That is kind of what I figured. We are off Pecos so it is a little ways from the Bay. We went down the other day for something and I was watching some nice size sheephead feed on the barnicles (I guess) from the top deck, but didn't have time to fish. Our light got installed yesterday so I am looking forward to going down tomorrow. I wonder if you could fly fish above the lightsa at night and be successful? That might be a stupid question but seems like it may work. (Well if you had any skill at it, unlike myself)

·
One more cast....
11,576 Posts
Just went there for vacation. Rented a house almost at the bay. Caught a variety of fish right off the dock. Small specks, sand trout, drum, stingray, croaker, gafftop, small jack, about a 5' gar and of course hard head. Lights were active but hard to get a bite. Seems the larger trout moved in later at night.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
There are always exceptions to the small fish rule. We have caught a lot of nice reds out of the lights and a friend of mine caught a 28” trout out of the lights in Island Moorings in Pt Aransas. Fun to watch, fun to catch out of the lights.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We had better luck with the dock mounted stadium light. Neighbor had an underwater light and as noted they would scatter if you hooked up. Better fish would hang out around the shadow ring of the dock light at our canal house at Bahia Azul years ago.

·
'81 Aggie
1,612 Posts
Technically, in Texas, they only need to carry a flashlight at the ready to avoid a collision. They don't need to be lit unless they hear a boat coming.

That puts Texas in compliance with USCG rules. Last year, Texas required a full time 360 light for kayaks. They changed it in the past year to match USCG regs.

Here's a couple of fun videos from last spring, showing fish in our lights in Sea Isle. The first one's a time lapse from overnight, showing the fish moving in and out. The other is a 5 minute realtime clip.

I wish it was like that all year, but it slows down...

Shameless plug... I make those 12V green lights here in Sea Isle and sell them for $200 including the 12V power supply. PM me if interested. Sadly, prices of all the components have skyrocketed (Let's go Brandon), so the next batch may cost more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts