2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my lowrance with one that has the antenna built in, now i need to patch the holes from the old antenna. What is a cheap easy way to do this myself and make it look good? I have one 1/3-1/2 in hole in the middle and screw holes on the outside. I hate having holes in my boat so please give me ideas! Some kind of putty or something?

Thanks,

Captain Kyle

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Go to any boat store and buy a gel coat repair kit which is kind of expensive and mix the solution you will not be able to match the color but you can sand it and it is easy to work with since it is like toothpaste and you can wash it off with water and will be as hard as original .

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newbomb Turk said:
Stainless screws, fender washers just plug the holes...
I have a big hole in the middle that wouldn't look right.

I might just buy a new lowrance with the gps antenna separate to use the holes.

On my next boat I am going to use the Sea Suckers for everything. I hate holes on my boat so much. :hairout:

·
Recovering Workaholic
5,922 Posts
Get you some JB Weld . I moved the cleats for the strap hooks on my bimini top forward to allow for more casting room. Sealed the old screw holes with the JB Weld and used some reasonably close matched fiberglass paint to touch up. Once it ages a week, you could never find the old holes if you didn't know exactly where to look.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
boashna said:
Go to any boat store and buy a gel coat repair kit which is kind of expensive and mix the solution you will not be able to match the color but you can sand it and it is easy to work with since it is like toothpaste and you can wash it off with water and will be as hard as original .
How can it get hard as the original if you can wash it off with water??

Doesn't sound like a very good product to me.

·
archTech
8,621 Posts
Bondo and touch up paint. You can get the bondo from Home Depot. JB weld is not a bad idea but the bondo will sand and touch up easier. You could also get a touch up kit of gel coat as mentioned instead of paint.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here is what I did

I used silicone on the screw holes and then ran stainless steel screws in. The large hole I filled with a dowel which I inserted to just below the surface and the gel coated over that. No leaks and you can't even tell where the large hole was, just see the screws.

I contacted the manufacturer, Parker, and they sent me gel coat which matched the original gel coat perfectly. I must say Parker is a joy to deal with, they sent me the small amount of gel coat I needed overnight without any charge at all.

BTW, I used epoxy to coat the dowel just before I inserted it in the hole just in case any water got past the gel coat. I did this 5 years ago and it is still perfectl

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
tinyrogerd01 said:
How can it get hard as the original if you can wash it off with water??

Doesn't sound like a very good product to me.
Well concrete can be washed off your hand and then it becomes hard. Appearance can be deceiving for example you, appear to be a nice person but you like to harass people …don't you.

Can I ask you what year; you were elected as bully of the year in High School.

When is Graduation day Go seniors.. .....

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but we replaced my old gps with a new one and had to cover the extra holes. My husband bought one of those white kitchen cutting boards at Wal-mart and cut it to fit and router'd the edges and glued it somehow to the center console -- then he cut new holes in it for the new gps cables. I was pretty impressed -- it looks really good.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
boashna said:
Well concrete can be washed off your hand and then it becomes hard. Appearance can be deceiving for example you, appear to be a nice person but you like to harass people …don't you.

Can I ask you what year; you were elected as bully of the year in High School.

When is Graduation day Go seniors.. .....
Ohhh... Now I understand what you were trying to say....

Here let me fix it for you. (well the best I can anyways)

boashna said:
Go to any boat store and buy a gel coat repair kit, which is kind of expensive, and mix the solution per manufactures instructions. You will not be able to match the color, but you can sand it. It is easy to work with since it is like toothpaste and once cured, will be as hard as original. When your done, you can wash it off your tools and hands with water, as long as it's still "wet". Good luck on your repairs.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
tinyrogerd01 said:
a few words & a couple of punctuation marks makes all the difference in the world!

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you are looking to match the original finish check out:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

They make gel coat kits that match most boats factory colors. It is easy to work with and a darn good match. Just sand it with 600 then 1200 grit wet sandpaper until it is smooth and glossy.

If you are just trying to fill the hole nothing beats Marinetex.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
tinyrogerd01 said:
Ohhh... Now I understand what you were trying to say....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tinyrogerd01 again.

your killing me with your Boashanese translater!
Keep up the good work stalker! LMAo!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts