2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester model 70 in .270 caliber with a tasco 3x9x40 on it. I got it from my fatehr in law and I am looking at replacing the scope. I am looking for some suggestions as what would be good to replace this tasco with. I have been looking at the Nikons and other brands, just wanting to get some feedback from people.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
If you have the money...about $600 bucks ...go with a VarXIII Leuplod 4.5X14X50....great scope and I shoot the same gun with one mounted on top....

As for Nikon.....I dont own one of their scopes but I do have several of there binos and they are IMO one of the best bangs for the buck....if their scopes are as good as the binos........ that would be my choice

TS

·
Registered
296 Posts
A large variety of scopes will work well with that caliber. It doesn't have a lot of recoil, but enough to avoid buying a bottom of the line scope. Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, Simmons, and many others offer scopes that would be servicable on this rifle. The type you get will depend largely on how and where you hunt. Close shots or moving shots call for low power. Low light conditions call for a large objective with brightening lens coatings. Long range calls for high magnification. I hunt in all these conditions so I've gone with 3X9 varible with a 40mm objective. I have both Leupold and Simmons and both brands have worked well for me. Be prepared to spend around $200 for even the less expensive brands. If this is the route you chose, don't skimp on the optics, because your first clue that they aren't working properly is when you you are looking at the south end of a north bound buck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Medium sized Leupold would look the best 2.5-8, fixed 4-6x up to 3.5-10x.
That's a classic rifle so I would put a classic scope on it the FX 6x if it were mine.

Nikons are very good I would go with the Team Primos or Monarch as these are the brightest for the bucks.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
With that rifle-nothing less than a Mid range Leupold! Putting any thing else on it would be a disgrace! If you plan to ever take this gun to the mountains then stick with a smaller Objective because those 50's don't fit in leather scabbords too well and get the 30 mm main tube to make up for the light gathering difference! Go get your hands on the scopes and look through them far and near!

·
Banned
330 Posts
The first real good question I can think of that needs to be answered is...

What are you willing to spend?

I have done extensive research in finding good scopes for myself and others and that is really the first question because scopes range from $50 to several thousand dollars.

I like high power adj objectives to see the fleas at 200yds HA!

Scopes that I would look at in these price ranges.

$100-$150 Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50(read these reviews) For sale here for $109 with a few different power offerings (needs high rings due to large OBJective lens)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=746570

$150-$200 Weaver 40/44 6.5-20x44 They were awarded best of the best by Feild&Stream 2009
http://www.thefind.com/search?query=weaver+6.5-20x44#page=1&filter[sortby]=price_asc

$200-300 Millet Gold buck 4-16x56 (needs high rings) See reviews here
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=869462
SEE sales here
http://www.thefind.com/search?query=millet+gold+buck+4-16x56+30mm+riflescope#page=1&filter[sortby]=price_asc

$300-400 Weaver grand slam 6-20x40 good reviews ( I want one)
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_48/ai_90529086/ You even get a free gear bag if bought before jan 1 see here
http://www.weaveroptics.com/downloads/WO49_CanvasBagCoupon.pdf
Best price right now is here
http://www.ambientweather.com/gs19116.html

For more money than this is it much easier to find good scopes in high power adj obj) such as Bushnell elite 4200, burris fullfield II, Pentax lightseeker 30( i want one), Leupold vari x III and VXIII( I have one), etc.

I hope this helps you and others.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Tests have shown that the light gathering ability of the 50mm vs. 40mm objectives is so negligible that most cannot see the difference. So save yourself some money and go with quality 40mm scope.

Personally, I've had good luck with Leupold VX-II's and VX-III's. A VX-II 3-9x40 will run about $300 or so. Lifetime warranty means that you'll never have to buy another scope for that rifle again. Seems like a good deal to me.

I've got a VX-II 3-9x40mm on my Browning .270 and I haven't had to adjust the scope in the last 7 years. That includes riding in the truck, 4 wheelers and side-by-side ATV's. Even dropped the rifle once last year. Checked it's zero and it was dead nutz on.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Leupold is generally the benchmark for other optics to be compared to.
They do have a great lifetime warrantee.
I have a Vari X III 6.5-20x44 that is great stuff.

That being said, you can get pretty **** good optics and performance from some of the others that I suggested if you arent willing to shell out the $ for a Lupy. I have heard some say even better, but everyones opinion differ. Ideally I would suggest getting all of your finalists together and looking through them at twilight if possible. Maybe some 2coolers could help with that depending on where you are at.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I used to be a diehard Leupold fan but the Zeiss conquest is a much better scope for the money. Nikon scopes aren't bad but the eye relief can sometimes be a problem. Leupold is great but the Zeiss conquest is better.

·
9,095 Posts
Tests have shown that the light gathering ability of the 50mm vs. 40mm objectives is so negligible that most cannot see the difference. So save yourself some money and go with quality 40mm scope.

Personally, I've had good luck with Leupold VX-II's and VX-III's. A VX-II 3-9x40 will run about $300 or so. Lifetime warranty means that you'll never have to buy another scope for that rifle again. Seems like a good deal to me.

I've got a VX-II 3-9x40mm on my Browning .270 and I haven't had to adjust the scope in the last 7 years. That includes riding in the truck, 4 wheelers and side-by-side ATV's. Even dropped the rifle once last year. Checked it's zero and it was dead nutz on.
Yup, saw you state this very thing a couple of weeks ago and i also read the same articles . This being stated , if you think it's Negligible then take the two scopes out and try them in failing light-scope for scope changing only the Obj. size! I see quite a bit later in the evening and earlier in the morning-my test was with Leupold! If you are in Failing light, then alway's look towards the top of your Optics for you best view-"This is Light Gathering" and if the obj. is larger then.....you do the math!

·
Registered
224 Posts
What M16 said.

I have a Ziess Conquest 3x9x40. The optics are bright and clear. Compared to the Leupold's, the Zeiss has better light gathering optics in low light. But you will spend $500 for this scope.

·
9,095 Posts
What M16 said.

I have a Ziess Conquest 3x9x40. The optics are bright and clear. Compared to the Leupold's, the Zeiss has better light gathering optics in low light. But you will spend $500 for this scope.
Which Leupold 3x9x40 are you comparing too?

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Have you shot it at the range?

Before I spent money I would want to clean it an take it to the range to check how small groups are possible. Might take a couple of brands of ammo I would hope shoot well. Might make a difference in how much you want to spend. I would stick with a similar size scope like a 3.5 X 10 X 40 Leupold or Nikon Monarch either of which should blow the Tasco away. I would also upgrade to some newer rings...you may still have some old ugly Weaver rings.

Another thing is what generation of M70 it is. Pre 64 or new Pre 64 style are great and worth a fine scope. But if it is from the cut the budget era, maybe not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does not seem to be a pre 64 by the serial number, but it still shoots well and I can drop a deer with it no matter what year it was made. I would put this gun up next to anything out there with me behind it and not think twice about it.

At this point, I am leaning towards the Leupold or the Nikon Monarch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, you go to Cabellas to look at scopes and they start pushing everything under the sun on you. Finally ended up walking out, will go back when the normal guy I deal with is there on Saturday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts