2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to hunt in south Texas and want to outfit my Rem M760 with a scope. Can anyone suggest a scope and if it can be mounted on this model.

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
i used a redfield mount and a tasco scope on my 141 gamemaster till i got tired of paying 30 dollar a box for 30 rem

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Aetec

I am a big fan of the Simmons Aetec scopes. Very nice for the money. Lots less than a Leupold. You're not going to be taking super long shots with that rifle anyway, so a super high quality scope is really not needed. The Aetecs run in the $150 range. Also, I prefer Leupold or Redfield one-piece mounts and rings. The Leupolds are really easy to install. Rings and a mount should run around $40.

You asked if the scope CAN be mounted on that rifle.... that depends on if your gun's receiver is tapped for a scope mount. You should have some threaded holes on the top of the gun where the scope would be. If those holes are not there, it's time to find a gunsmith.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No holes for the mount and I found a simmons scope that should work well for this gun. Packs a punch, but 100 yards is about the max. Great on hogs.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If its a Rem 760 in 35 Rem cal, I would do a little checking into its collector value before I drilled and tapped it. Remington started drilling and tapping all the 760s not long after they started making them. That make your rifle kind of rare. Also I don't think the 35 was a very popular caliber for the 760 anywhere but in the northeast. That also make your rifle that much rarer.
I don't think the 760 has attracted any collector interest, but if it has, your rifle may be worth a premium, compared to what it would be if you modified it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a Remington Gamemaster 760 in 35 cal. Serial number in around 65,000 which makes it the early era before 1967. No drill holes for mounting and I do not plan on a scope now. I also have a Remingtom Model 14 30 cal with and old Weaver scope, but the scope is a fixed focal point and I only have 2 shells left. May need to sell a gun and buy a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts