2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends Dee and Richard from Fort Worth talked me into going Snapper fishing with them while here on vacation. Dee loves to catch snapper, but only has the stamina to use electric reels…. That means only one boat… the Scat Cat out of Fisherman's Wharf in Port Aransas. While I like the boat, I know that they cater more to tourists than hardcore fisherman, but I was in for the good company an a great boat in beautiful weather.

The boat leaves promptly at 6:30, but today we left about 15 minutes late, not a big deal. About 55 or so people are on board, all very friendly and well mannered. The deckhands were numerous and also helpful and very attentive to all the customers. They provided a very detailed safety meeting before boarding and talked about a lot of the procedures they expected everyone to follow. This actually worked pretty well as there were no problems with anyone or anything all day long. The galley was very clean, and the snack bar well provisioned with sandwiches, burgers, biscuits and plenty of cold drinks and water. When I walked on board with two jigging setups and a Wahoo jig on another setup, they looked at me kind of funny. I put my rods in three holders up near the bow for the ride out, and then at the first stop was asked to move all but one out of the way to make more rail room for all the other anglers on the boat. No big deal, I stow the others on an unused outside bench, and explained I had planned to fish with one rig at a time being careful not to snag the anglers using the electric reels with 32 ounces of lead.

First stop, the jigging would have to wait, the current was pretty bad and left all the lines trailing straight back towards the stern causing several tangles. Not many fish were caught either on this stop, although a couple of good snaps came up. The next couple of stops were drifts over rocks because of the current, and this gave me a better chance to jig. First in was a really big Beeliner on a Shimano TrevalaXH/Kaikon combo using a white Williamson 5oz Benthos jig. I had good luck on the last Big E trip with this jig and was anxious to try it nearshore for Snapper and such. A few casts later and I hook up with what I thought was a good snapper, only to find it had turned into a nice Bonito on the way up, only around 10lbs or so. The next few drifts I kept jigging getting hard hits at or near the bottom, but no hookups. I was thinking I needed a bottom hook on the jig, but since I was hitting bottom, and also drifting over rocks, I didn't want to lose my jig to a snag and kept using it as is. On occasion I would try jigging with rig # 2, a Trevala XXH/Accurate 665 combo with a Sea Rock 7oz jig. I never could get a hookup, but did have many hits and came home with a jig full of tooth marks. This jig was rigged with a short wire, so that may have kept me from getting the hits I needed to hook up. The highlight of the trip was a drift that provided about 60% of the fish that were caught, with snapper coming over the rail fast and furious. During this drift I had the Benthos jig out and got a savage hit about 30 feet from the boat and near the surface. I looked out and saw a beautiful BLUE Dorado of 15-20lbs struggling with my jig and also saw about 7 others down below him, with one massive Bull circling around them all. My Dorado came up and out of the water and promptly tossed my jig right back at me hitting the rail about 6 inches from the top with a really loud THUD! The deckhands and other anglers seeing the dorado all tried to hook up, and my friend Dee, did hook one only to have it toss the hook after one jump, and one deckhand on the back of the boat hooked the bull and it made about 7-8 jumps beside the boat before coming unbuttoned. I made several casts with the Benthos and hooked up one more time, again, having the jig tossed back. I picked up Rig # 3, a Torium20/700XH rigged with a Wahoo jig and sent it out and deep trying to get a hookup, but no dice. It was really exciting and awesome action for a few minutes and really made my day and everyone on board talked about the episode the whole rest of the day.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful with the snappers continuing to be caught by the bottom fishermen, and myself jigging up one more Bonito of around 18lbs, and then a couple of nice big Blue Runners. Luckily I never lost a jig, even though we saw several Barracuda, but I never did hook a King, Wahoo or AJ, which I had hoped to do.

All in all, it was a great day trip, much better than I had expected. Great to spend a day on the water with good friends, and nice to make some new friends as well.

Tom - DBG

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,156 Posts
Hey Tom!

Nice report and glad you got to play!

I hope Dee is doing well! Tell her hello from me and the girls (Yes, they still remember her because she was so nice!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.