2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I responded to a craigs list add for some one wanting some painting done. The guy wanted his two bedroom apartment painted, which I thought was kind of strange. but it was a painting job so what the heck. I never gave the guy a price, I just told him I did home repairs and painting. After getting his e-mail today my sensors went off. What do you think? Here is his e-mail. I never said anything about cleaning his apt.

Hello Ken,

Thanks getting back with your interest in the painting & cleaning job. Am seeking for a responsible, trustworthy and devoted painter to help paint and clean my new two bedroom apartment. Presently, am on vacation in California but will be coming back home soon with my fiancee and i'll like to have my new 2 bedroom apartment painted and cleaning the whole apartment after the painting is completed.

I do hope that you are a well experienced and good painter because i want the apartment neatly painted & cleaned. Regards the payment, i am willing to pay $500 for the Cleaning & painting of the two bedroom flat and as for the painting materials, they are already in the apartment for you to use in painting the apartment.

A client of mine will be mailing you a check for the sum of $300 before starting the job then the balance of $200 will be given to you by me in person when i move down there and that will be as soon as you finish the job. Compensation will also be given only if you have everything done perfectly - So, if you are okay with my explanation, i will like you to get back to me with your full name, full detailed address, age and phone number so that the payment will be sent to you and you can start the painting right away.

Thanks and i hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards,

Dwayne Johnson.

·
Professional Salesman
9,757 Posts
1. A two bedroom flat could mean 2 bedrooms, kitchen, closets, bathroom. Have you seen the apartment?

2. I would get specifics on cleaning,

2. Guy sounds like a jerk.

3. Strange that he has someone else sending you the check.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yeah right! His client gonna give you a check for $300. You paint and when he gets there, if it is PERFECT, he will give you $200. How much you want to bet it will not be perfect and the check will be bogus also.

Run! It has to be a scam.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,403 Posts
Go see whats in his apartment you can take 1st, like his free paint.:biggrin:

I know its a scam, there is no apartment. Craigslist is full of scammers now.

·
Fishmoore & Doolittle, Retirement Clubs
2,741 Posts
I say make up some sort of phony counter offer. Something like:

"Sure, sounds good to me BUT in order to do the work properly I use materials I am familiar with and have experience in knowing the work will be top notch. What brand of paint do you have waiting? I use only german horse hair on my brushes. Is that what you have at the flat, errrrr, I mean apartment? Oh, I also use an apprentice helper but she is color blind so I will need a paint by number stencil...etc., etc.

Send it off and see if you get a response. I've seen some pretty funny email trails of folks leading these scammers along.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Scam all the way.

First of all....nobody talks or writes like that. His screams of someone that doesn't have a solid understanding of the English language. He writes in a style that someone from say, Nigeria, would speak.

Respond and tell him that for an extra $100 you'll pee all over his new furniture.

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
The ingenuity of scammers is unbelieveable. Some will actually send you a good check for a minimal amount and then when you deposit it, you will have to put your account number on it along with other personal data, such as dob, ht, wt, etc. Scammer then can get enough info to clean out your bank account. Some will even deal with you face to face. Rule of thumb is to be very, very careful, check them out and carry a 45.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts