2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this guy emailed me about a motorcycle i have for sell and i feel like it's a scam. what do some of you guy's and gal's think?? i replyed back too him with what he wanted too know and below is his reply back. this is from the UK as much as i can tell. i told him too send payment. i'm just going too scam him like he trying too scam me. i will not cash the money order that he is sending,i just want too try and see how these IDIOT'S work!!

Thanks for the reply.I will email you back to inform you when payment will be delivered.Do keep it off market.Also want to remind that am working on the shipping right now,the shipper will come to your location for the picking up after payment had been received.As soon as payment arrives,do let me know and i will direct you on the next step regarding shipping.The payment you will be receiving comprises the shipping funds,as soon as you have received and cashed the payment you are to deduct your said amount and i will direct you on how the rest of the funds on the payment will be used for shipment.
So,do email to notify me when payment arrives and await my instructions regarding shipping arrangement.
I will get back to you to keep you update and i asure you every thing will work out fine.Email me back to let me know if you receive this mail.
Extend my regards and greetings to your family.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
Any time anyone offers to send you more then you're asking for and wants money back it's a SCAM!!

·
Who Farted?
1,857 Posts
Typical scam, sends you a money order or fake cashiers check, your bank will give you the cash and you end up loosing the bike if you do ship it and cash once the bank figures out its a fake you will end up owing the bank the amount of the check or they go after you for fraud.

·
non-politically correct
7,301 Posts
Yep, it is a scam. The payment will be delivered and that person will want to take delivery for the buyer before you can verify the funds for the sale, you will get no money as the form of payment is fraudulent .
E-mail the potential buyer that wire transfer is your required form of payment, you will not hear from the buyer ever again.

·
RAIDER POWER!!!
5,696 Posts
A friend of mine was duped like that when he was selling an Alienware laptop. Cashier's check looked legit. Long story short, he turned it over to the proper authorities and the woman was caught. She was wanted in several other states for the same thing. He did not get back his laptop, but she did get caught.

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:37:51 +0100 (BST)From: john patrick <[email protected]> Save Address To: [email protected]Subject: Expect payment soon and get back to me today..
2unnamedtext/html3.88 KBHi,
Thanks for the reply.I will email you back to inform you when payment will be delivered.Do keep it off market.Also want to remind that am working on the shipping right now,the shipper will come to your location for the picking up after payment had been received.As soon as payment arrives,do let me know and i will direct you on the next step regarding shipping.The payment you will be receiving comprises the shipping funds,as soon as you have received and cashed the payment you are to deduct your said amount and i will direct you on how the rest of the funds on the payment will be used for shipment.
So,do email to notify me when payment arrives and await my instructions regarding shipping arrangement.
I will get back to you to keep you update and i asure you every thing will work out fine.Email me back to let me know if you receive this mail.
Extend my regards and greetings to your family.

[email protected] wrote:
Quoting john patrick :$1800.00. this bike is like

new!!! 20 to 25 hours on it!thanks,kurt jones

> Thanks for your details.Do keep it off market and consider it sold to
> me,you did not include your selling price,i will like to know your selling
> price,as soon as this is received the payment will be made out and aswell
> sent as soon as possible.Also want to remind you that i will arrange for the
> shipment,so do not worry about that,i asure you every thing will work out
> fine.
> I will await your reply as soon as possible in this regard.
>
>
>
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> Quoting john patrick :
>
>
> > I am interested in purchasing your Posted Advert.I would like to know the
> > actual price you are Willing to sell it, and also want to know more about
> its
> > present condition .Also the mode of payment would be a cheque drawn in U.S
> > Bank and also shipping arrangment would be made by myself with a reliable
> > and capable shipping company whom can handle the shippment. So,i will need
> > your details such as,your full name to be on payment,address and phone
> > number(cell,home and office number) so that the check for the payment can
> be
> > made out and aswell sent as soon as possible.I will await to hear from you
> in
> > this regard soonest.
> > Best Regards
[/indent]

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't want too sell my bike too this *******! i want too get his ***! i will turn this info over too whoever i need too. who should i turn it over too? thanks, kurt

·
non-politically correct
7,301 Posts
speckle-catcher is correct, try to get them to us USPS to your home or PO box. Then the feds will get involved by virtue of mail fraud.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
my suggestion is more of a security issue - I wouldn't want to give out my home address to a known scammer - you never know when they might decide to come collect on the check you kept

one of my co-workers has been dealing with one of these scammers for over a year. He had the checks sent to the office. About every 3 weeks or so he gets an email from the scammer demanding for his "money" to be returned. Even threathened to come to the office - but for some reason the threat was kinda funny:
"I am coming to get you laid!"

really? where do I sign up for that? :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Give him an office number tell him to call you as you don't want to deal in email any longer...that will get 90% of the scammers out of the question. Tell him to get a shipping quote and HE will have to pay them. Tell him since HE's shipping the bike and you will not be responsible for any shipping damages YOUR name nor funds from YOUR hands will ever go to a shipping company. After that tell him a check for the actual ammount will need to be send as a Postal Money Order or ask for his address and look up local banks. ONLY allow funds from those banks. He shouldn't have a problem getting a check from them. Then when you get the funds simply call the bank you told him to get it from and verify funds.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Why don't you contact the local Police and ask them for help.This scam has been going around and they maybe able to direct you better and even setup a sting to nab the crook.

·
The Rod Man
621 Posts
Guys,
From all the post I have read on this I would definately says it appears to be a SCAM. I had a guy from Nigeria contact me via E-mail and wanted three custom Flyrods built. He sent a Cashiers check for $5500 and informed me to take out my fee for the rods and send the remaining balance via Western Union to him. I played along with this guy and he sent the check Fed Express Overnight. Then he contacted me via E-mail with the directions on the balance, he even went as far as to pick a Walmart in my town to wire the money from.
I checked with my local bank in reference to the check and they said no bank by that name exists. I waited a few days and did nothing and started to get emails saying that I need to get this transaction completed ASAP. At this time I emailed him and told him that I new this was a scam and a few other choice words about what I though of him.
A few days later I got a email stating that this was legit and that he wanted his check back. I stopped responding and he went as far as to contact me via phone and left a msg on the answering machine with a few choice words of his own. He got my address and # from my website.

Sorry for the long rant, but one needs to be sensative to Cashiers checks and MO sent for Payment. I talked to the local FBI office about this and he stated that this a common occurance, that the next frontier is Fake Money Orders.

Take Care,

Pods

1 - 20 of 34 Posts