2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
left out of freeport on a trip i was the final bidder on at the sca banquet back in october. cleared the jetties about 4:30 on friday afternoon and set the auto pilot for the deep blue. on board were captian john stout,fist mate captain brad parker,mike torian,doug mullins,tj(minnows),and me.

arrived at the first stop at 7am on saturday. first drop produced a couple of amberjacks and then the snapper started coming over the gunnels and into the box. proceeded to catch our snapper limit in less than 1 1/2 hours and then left in search of some bigger amberjacks. as a note we never caught a snapper under 18 inches and when we reached our limit it was lines in and off for something different.

next stop produced a couple of bigger amberjacks which we released. we did however get to see what a nice amberjack would do to a couple of guys that were use to catching salmon on lake michigan.

set our lines looking for a billfish but after several hours of trolling only had about a 15lb wahoo to show for our efforts. as we neared our area to fish for tuna we did have several knock downs and hookups with blackfin tuna. not the species we were searching for. as night fall approached we ready ourselfs for tuna and hopefully yellowfins.

after a slow start we finally get the tuna going and soon run out of fish box space. we were catching yellowfin on chunks and then tj went to the bow to throw poppers and was shaking off the blackfin on almost every cast until he hooked up on a yellowfin which we ended up keeping. everyone caught tuna and we kept brad busy on the deck in a sea of red. there was not much surface activety but the tuna were there and feeding. we saw very few flying fish in the area but we did see lots of them on the way out and in due to the calm seas.

at 10pm we decide to have dinner a put out a couple of deep drop rigs that tj had prepared trying to get a swordfish bite while we took a breather and enjoyed our dinner. tj does get one bite on the deep drop but it was a blackfin. hopefully we will get one next time out.

at about 11pm we start our run back in to shallower water to try and hit a few shrimpers on our way in for a few more pulls and maybe something different.

hit first boat at 6:30am sunday but it was a lovely commercial snapper boat in 230 ft of water. a short hop over to the next boat found a shrimper that had just anchored and was starting to cull. tried a few minutes and nothing had made it under his boat so we moved in a few more miles and hit another boat that didn't hold any fish. the third time was a charm. found one that had a good line of chum and was holding tuna we were having a little trouble on getting them hooked up and captain stout comes down from the bridge and grabs his bait rod with 15lb test and proceeds to get bowed up with a 15lb blackfin in short order. shortly after embarassing us we proceeded to catch a few tuna to not look so bad in the captian's eyes.

made one more stop to check out a reef for possible future visits but didn't get to fish it but a minute or 2 before this shrimper comes over wanting to trade shrimp for provisions of different types. made a fair trade in our eyes but i am sure captian c could have done better. we left with a bag 40lb bag of shrimp and let them keep their women.

headed in in flat seas had a very nice trip. captian stout thank you again for your generous donation to the sca of your time and vessel. brad parker thank you for your efforts to try and keep my yankee friends bowed up and baited. mike and doug i hope you had as much fun as i did. tj we should do away with the minnows name and call you ironman not due to your size and strength but your ability to catch fish on the jigs. for a trip that was almost cancelled on wednesday it turned out to be a great weekend for us. tj is suppsoe to post up a few pictures when he gets the chance.....rick

·
Registered
96 Posts
A Light Dusting of Red

Here is the light dusting of red which we used to line the bottom of the cooler. Just to put it into perspective, this is a 320qt SSI, and those are 20lb bags of ice under the fish.

It is always a pleasure to be able to put a few experienced offshore fisherman along with a couple of offshore rookies onto a solid box of the best the Gulf of Mexico has to offer. I just wish that I had a video of Rick's cousin, the salmon fisherman, when he dropped that live blue runner onto a deepwater hump and had a 75lb AJ nearly rip the rod and him out of the boat. I bet thats the last time he ever picks up one of Rick's rods without checking the drag setting just to see what he is getting himself into.

Those of you who contact me from time to time wanting an opportunity to do a 48 hour trip on the Possession Limit should plan to attend the SCA banquet...plans are to put another trip like this one one the auction block.

I am a little disheartened that Rick didn't mention the two pitchers of frozen margaritas we had when we got back to the dock. They tasted pretty good to me.

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Fine report Rick,

And the pics are beautiful! Capt. You are really something else! I know it was a pleasure to fish with the crew you had on this trip.

Just makes me more jealous, and ready for the weekend.

Mike

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Great report Rick! Dusting??? Yeah Right! WTG on getting the Michigan guys onto some great fishing!

Hey TJ I second Rick's suggestion for "Ironman" as all the reports of you fishing have you with a great catch on iron. Very appropriate IMHO.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
That sounds like one heck of a trip Mr. Stout

First off I want to thank you for your generous donation to SCA with that trip last year, it was definately one of the premier trips.

I can't wait to get the chance to bid on that trip come October, I'm taking my gloves off this year. :biggrin:

Matt

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mr. Stout,

I'm with Matt on thanking you for donating that nice trip! We're looking forward to seeing both you and Rick at the banquet again this year!

As for the trip, you guys did a bang up job! Sure wish I could have been there to take in all the action!

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
WTG ! guys

Big thanks to Capt. Stout and Rick for supporting SCA. You guys rock !

Now where's the sushi party/fish fry,,,,,and please don't say Oklahoma ????

:cry:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow! What a fishing expedition. Sounds like you guys had fun. Have you ever seen a box that was dusted in red like that?

Again, thanks Capt Stout for the donation for SCA, and thanks Rick for putting together the group to buy the trip.

We hope to see both of you on Oct 16. You guys know the place.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
WTG Dudes

Congrats on a another successful outing, and many thanks to Capt.Stout for the donation.

Rick, thanks for leaving that state record AJ in the water for the rest of us:)

Poppers from the bow of the PL, huh? Hmmmmmmmm. Very interesting. The walk to the cockpit sounds like a new potential X Games sport if a Volkswagen crashes the party. I am duly intrigued.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
As one of the yankees who had the pleasure of being on the Possession Limit this past weekend, I would like to say it was one of the best fishing trips I have ever been on. Having been diagnosed with some not so great medical issues the prior week and after having begun a treatment therapy, I was probably one of the last people who should have been on the Gulf of Mexico and was very apprehensive about even making the trip. Regardless, we went, and the fishing was fantastic, the captian (John Stout) and mate (Brad P) were gracious hosts to a couple of yankees. I would just like to thank them both for the great time, the exciting fishing and for not letting my other cousin fall out of the boat. That guy is my cousing and not McGolfer's. Also, thanks to Rick for inviting us. It is always a pleasure spending quality time with you. Now you and TJ need to come up to Michigan and catch some Salamon on light tackle. Thanks again. ps. the frozen Margaritas were second to none.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts