2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a shiny new toy....

Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP "Tactical". Swapped out the grips immediately for some rubber checkered grips. Picked up a fobus holster and mag holder. 350 rounds of ammo while I was at it. Probably oughta have time to shoot it next week, too.

·
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may :)

$465 plus tax.
The bone stock GI version goes for about $400 +/-

·
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:) Oh, I already want them all!
I think I'm skipping out on church and headed to the range today. Need a proper holster for it, too, the one I bought (fobus) sucks.

·
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
250 rounds through it today! First 50 were American Eagle 230gr FMJ, another 200 of Remington UMC 230gr FMJ. Mostly at 7 yards, rapid fire strings. I'm not sure I've ever shot that much at one time from a big bore pistol.
The good:
Factory magazine works great.
Gun functioned great.
Cheap ammo did great.
The bad:
Cheap "made in taiwan" magazines I picked up the other day sucked. Several misfeeds from them and only them. Top round wouldn't seat all the way down inbetween the lips. Gun wouldn't feed. Weak springs would prevent round from being stripped out of the magazine. Factory magazine ran like a champ. Tossing the made in taiwan **** and buying a couple decent mags asap.
7 yard string
No, the hole in the cardboard isn't mine. All mine are on paper in this shot.

15 yard string. Ignore the flier I pulled down to the left

Dirty, dirty girl.

Found a good holster for it, too. Safariland paddle holster with a 3 way tension adjustment.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Get yourself some factory Colts, Kimber, or Wilson Combat mags to solve your feeding issues. Also, some 1911s need a few hundred rounds through them for break in. Sounds like your well on your way.

A couple tips, use a Dremmel, or something similar to polish your feed ramp, and what I have done with my Kimber and Colts to smooth things up is put some jewelers rouge on all the slide contact points, and just sit down and rack it continuosly. This will polish the action and make it smoother, at least it did for mine. Just make sure you clean all the polish out when your done, then oil it sparingly. I carry my Kimber USII daily, and its never let me down.

·
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been hearing good things about Chip Mccormick magazines and am going to give those a try. It was night and day just between the cheapos and the factory RIA magazine.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
I've been hearing good things about Chip Mccormick magazines and am going to give those a try. It was night and day just between the cheapos and the factory RIA magazine.
Wow, dont know how I forgot to mention Chips mags. Those are among the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts