2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a old mossberg 500 12ga. its actually my only shotgun. anyhow i want to get a self defense gun for the house. thought about buying the persuader, but i would rather buy a pistol grip for the mossberg and saw the barrel or get it cut down. then spend the 300.00 that the persuader cost on a better shotgun for myself...

so, can you saw the barrel yourself, or is this something that needs to be done by a pro. thanks

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
Sure, you can do it yourself. Just don't think about having a front sight anymore, and you better be REALLY careful with the tape measure....

Vent ribs can present a problem, though....

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have a old mossberg 500 12ga. its actually my only shotgun. anyhow i want to get a self defense gun for the house. thought about buying the persuader, but i would rather buy a pistol grip for the mossberg and saw the barrel or get it cut down. then spend the 300.00 that the persuader cost on a better shotgun for myself...

so, can you saw the barrel yourself, or is this something that needs to be done by a pro. thanks
Saw away..make sure you have a fairly new hack saw..take a round file and clean up the edges..make sure you don't cut below 18in..I did it several years ago after I banana-ed a barrel with a wad hung up in barrel and didn' realize it..still have the ole rem. 870 20 guage..makes a great truck gun..!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure, you can do it yourself. Just don't think about having a front sight anymore, and you better be REALLY careful with the tape measure....
what is the minimum? 18" right?

im at work now and cant access any gun info on the net or i would research it! but heck 2 cool always has the answers!

·
Will Rogers damned sure never met Obama
4,211 Posts
what is the minimum? 18" right?

im at work now and cant access any gun info on the net or i would research it! but heck 2 cool always has the answers!
Correct--better make it 18 and 1/10th" just to be on the safe side anything less and it is class 3.

·
Registered
938 Posts
you can buy a barrel to change out for under 100 bucks, and you can change it back if you need another gun to hunt with

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can buy a barrel to change out for under 100 bucks, and you can change it back if you need another gun to hunt with
i had thought about that, but id rather not have to change between the guns!

besides we always need more guns and reasons to buy them!!!

looks like i can get a black grip and forend for around 40.00 off ebay.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm thinking about doing that with an old Mossberg I have. Where, exactly, is the 18" measured from? Where the shell seats in the barrel?

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
I'm thinking about doing that with an old Mossberg I have. Where, exactly, is the 18" measured from? Where the shell seats in the barrel?
A dowel-rod dropped down the inside of the barrel onto the face of the closed bolt, or breechface.

Edit>>> You better not even be a millimeter short. This is why most manufacturers make it to where it is around 18.5".

·
Smokin' a GULP!
911 Posts
18" for the barrel - 26 inches for overall length. < Overall length hasn't been mentioned yet, but KEEP IT IN MIND, especially if you are cutting the barrel that short and putting a pistol grip.

Might get a shot tube extender to hold 8 rounds.

Oh yeah, have fun!!!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
18" for the barrel - 26 inches for overall length. < Overall length hasn't been mentioned yet, but KEEP IT IN MIND, especially if you are cutting the barrel that short and putting a pistol grip.

Might get a shot tube extender to hold 8 rounds.

Oh yeah, have fun!!!
yeah, don't forget about overall length.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts