2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 17. Its not shooting as well as I would like. A friend of mine told me its because it has a stainless barrel and needs to be broke in. Have any of you out there ever heard that a stainless barrel needs to be broke in? Or someone might have a different idea. Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
How well is it shooting????sometimes it's the scope...or ammo...don't think it is ammo since I was told the .17 rimfire ammo all comes off the same assembly line...different packaging....also what make of rifle...some shoot better than others right from the box...I also assumed this is a .17 rimfire,not .17 centerfire...there you open up a whole new can of worms...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try different ammo. I have a savage .17 and it is extremely accurate with Hornaday vmax. When I got it they threw in a box of Remington. After half a box and a lot of adjustments I almost took the gun back. A buddy brought over some Hornadays and it became a whole different gun. I've done some experimenting with other brands and it likes everything but the Remington loads. My buddy's does best with the Remingtons. Go figure.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,582 Posts
No, never heard anyone say that about a stainless barrel before and I've never had a problem with any of mine.

You might want to make sure that the barrel is clean; I've seen some dirty barrels on fresh out of the box rifles.

TH

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a Savage .17 its extremely accurate. I shoot the Federal rounds through it and have had great success. The Sweet .17 scope, is that a BSA?

·
Registered
301 Posts
hmm...personally I haven't had any luck with BSA scopes. Maybe you or others have though. I ended up putting a Leupold VX-II on mine. Got a good deal on Ebay for it, under $200. After you've tried different rounds, and if you're still not getting what you want, that's where I'd look next. The gun's a tack driver and should be shooting some pretty tight groups. Watch the wind though, it doesn't take much to blow those little rounds off! As far as the stainless barrel needing to be broken in...I don't know about that. I just took mine out of the box and started shooting it. The Federal ammo I was talking about is the V-Shock with the black tip.

·
Registered
772 Posts
All barrels need some breaking in. The slightly rough areas get polished by firing. I have cleaned several new rifles with JB bore compound or flitz metal polish and various amounts of steel debris cam out on the patches. A new rifle might have some loose screws or bedding issues that take awhile to eliminate.

The trigger was the biggest issue for accuracy on the savage rimfires I have shot. Ditto on the BSA scopes I have only tried a couple of the bottom of the line models and they didn't help shooting small groups. They had a lot of parrallax and edge distortion that could throw off group size.

I bet a change in ammo will do the trick.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the Savage 93 GV, and have several friends with different makes of the HMR. It's a very accurate round. There are only a couple of manufactures of the ammo, but try the different types, some rifles like the 20gr over the 17gr. The FIRST thing I would do is try a different scope. I know a couple of guys that have had good luck with the BSA but I know a lot more that had nothing but problems out of them and eventually returned them and bought something else. I have a few of the Bushnell banners on my rim fires and love them. Contrary to what most of us was taught about guns, the HMRs seem to like a dirty barrel. After a good cleaning, mine will take several rounds to come back around and be as accurate as it was before, And I only clean the barrel after accuracy starts going south, easily a few hundred rounds between cleanings, unless it will be a long time before I shoot it again, then I clean it before I put it up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What I have always been told on rifle's, they have to be shot about 20 times before they are accurate. The steps I was told to go threw were, the first 10 shots you clean the gun after each shot, then the last 10 shots you clean it after every 2nd shot. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts