2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.jacksride.org
5,221 Posts
If you guys want a great book for curing, smoking, and salting meats you have to get this book. I have made 4 or 5 recipes and it is a blast. Once you cure your own bacon, you will never go back to store bought.

Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman.

Take care,

fangard

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I was trying to figure how he smoked all that at one time. Heck of a big smoke room I bet. Looks to me they done reaaal good.

Charlie

·
a day late and a dollar short
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smoke room

I was trying to figure how he smoked all that at one time. Heck of a big smoke room I bet. Looks to me they done reaaal good.

Charlie
Here's the smoke house. We partitioned off a 7 x 12 room. It's got a cement floor which is nice in this slop after all the rain and snow. We can get around 500lbs in at one time depending on how the mix is of summer, reg link and goat cased link. I would recommend a table like the one in the pic to anyone cutting up deer and pork. Sure saves the back. Got this one from another 2cooler, Trodery.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Nice smoker there yaz. Table looks like a fish cleaning table.
Once me and my father made a smoker out of an old metal cabinet. About 6 ft high maybe 2 feet deep and 8 ft wide. Piped the smoke in through a pipe from outside. We could do a fair amount of sausage nothing like yall. Do you over smoke or over cook any sausage so you can carry it in your pocket and eat similiar to jerky ? We used to do that to carry it when hunting. No refigeration needed.

Charlie

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
I did my first sausage making ever this past weekend and learned a lot while having a great time!

1. Buy good quality grinders and stuffers, kitchenaide just don't cut it.....

2. Make sure your knives are sharp and have plenty of backups.

3. Make up your seasoning mixes with cure beforehand

4. Buy LOTS of beer!

Next year I will have a better stuffer and grinder. I did 15 Lbs summer sausage, 15 Lbs. polish style deer sausage, 10 Lbs breakfast sausage, and 5 Lbs andouille (No deer, all pork). the rest was chops, steaks, and about 5 Lbs of burger.... not a bad haul for two deer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts