2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With hunting season in full swing, I decided to do a squirrel and dove gumbo..

ingrediants:
4 plump squirrels quartered [ species doesn't matter ]
10 Fat whitewing dove breasts..
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 whole yellow onion chopped..
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 cups chopped celery
at least a lb. or so of chopped okra.
1 whole garlic head chopped..
100oz. quality chicken stock..
I aslo had some homade sausage left over so i will throw it in there also [ optional ]
I know you guys know how to chop so just pics of the veggies..
I took the game and brined it in koesher salt and cajun seasonings for 2.5 hrs prier to starting..
Pour the brine out and rinse the pot well..
I browned the game in the big pot for a little while to get the brown flavor added..

then i added the 100 oz. of chicken stock and covered it to boil for 40 minutes...
You can see the cajun seasoning infused in the meat after i took it out of the brine..
Its on to the roux now.. Basically roux is just fried flour.
Some like it light, but I like darker for the nuttier flavor..
I started with 1 1/4 cup of flour and the same in veggie oil..
Ya have to stay on this stuff and not let one little spot burn or ya have to start over..
These pics show the process and how dark i like mine..
when its almost to the color i want, i turn the fire off and keep stirring.. Then i add the garlic , onions, and green bells to slow the cooking process down and not burn it.. when its cooled down and out of danger , this is what ya get.. a dark chocolate roux..
I had removed the game from the boiling pot and let it cool..
I added the roux to the pot stock i had just made boiling the meat. then i add the green onions and the okra..
I deboned all the meat and added it back to the pot also..

I let it all simmer for about 45 minutes and this is what it turned out like..
exellent!!!!

bon appetite.
Randall

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Man, that 's looks awesome..Keep us posted on how it turns out.. i am getting ready to wrap up some doves and stuff some japs..

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
JOHNNY QUEST said:
mmmmm what flavor was that one Bobby....
It was Chicken & noodles with hashbrowns and bacon. Was very good.

·
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks, I'm soooo fat and happy now.. nap time...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Have you ever tried a microwave for your roux? Ya don't have to sit over it and risk injury, just put in on 2-3 min, stir, let set a couple of minutes, repeat....This process was adopted after having a bit popped in my eye while stirring.

I've got the goodies out for a gumbo tomorrow....chicken drumsticks/thighs, 3 types smoked sausage, deer sausage, andouille, and deer steak for good measure (first time with this one)...Of course we'll have a heaping pot of potato salad as a side....MMMmmmm.

The first cool front has passed, so it is now legal to cook gumbo.

SwampRat!!

·
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swamp thats a wierd one to me.. Sounds interesting tho may have to try it... Butt it will take the 30 ta 45 minutes of beer drinkin out of the pitcure while stiring the roux... I'll have to think about it..

Yes the first cool front is thru... Gumbo, Dumplins, stew, all kinds of goodies are open season now....

Randall

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The key to microwave roux is uniform heating. If you leave the microwave on for more than 3 minutes or so, your warming mixture has a dramatically increased chance of developing a hard, "hot spot" kernal consisting of burnt flour. This is why you have to stir and let sit so the temp can become uniform throughout. I also use heavy glass, microwaveable measuring cup for the process.

As for the beer issue, I've work through the difficulties and practiced enough times I now have no problems. :cheers:

Gotta go, microwave is telling me it's time for a stir.

SR!

·
14,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Saltstalker said:
Johnny , You have me over for dinner and I wont have to say anything to the Misses about where those Doves came from ! :)
LOL.. we have 12 acres in leon county surrounded by 500 more that i can hunt and those dove and squirrels are legal and tender..

I knew i would get that kinda response from someone just because i shoot airguns...
Its all gone now and the evidence was consumed by the neighbours that came over with thier tupperware.. lol
I have never seen a pot of gumbo go so fast... I think Mrs. williams got the most... she is 72 and an big time squirrel eater... Altho mr Cox is pushin 280 and he put a hurtin on it also...

SORRY mabey next time...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Bobby said:
I had a MRE for lunch:)
Those MRE's are actaully pretty good. But yeah I know, Bobby what you mean.
Where are you staying? Hope your holding up OK.

Now back to the gumbo...Even I can eat that one. That looks very good.
I may need someone to teach me how to clean a squirrel.
I already know how to clean dove. Soooo now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts