2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
iridium

Just bought two Iridium phones and they work great. minutes are a little pricey but found a California company has the best deal, Came in waterproof case with all the extra components.Unless using the external antennayou have to be outside for them to work. With activation and contract it was 1500.00 with 90 minutes .

·
Dick - 1972 Formula 223
830 Posts
Last Spring I bought a Globalstar on E-Bay for $218 plus $25 shipping. My service is $600 per year providing 900 minutes useable any time throughout the year.

Coverage is spotty, and there are times when I have no service. I have found that I watch the display for a few minutes, sooner or later it will see the right configuration of satellites and have service. The longest I've had to wait has been about 30 minutes. I would just turn the phone on every few minutes and check for service.

When I have used it, the people I have talked to said I sounded just like I was calling on a landline, and they were clear to me, as well.

A couple weeks ago we were 42 miles offshore of Port Aransas and I needed to call my wife. When I first turned the phone on I had no service, but I waited just a few minutes and service appeared. I made a 5 minute call and had no other problems.

I bought a $16 Pelican waterproof case at Academy and lined it with bubblewrap. It just holds the phone and one spare battery, and lives in the ditch bag.

I punched a list of all the phone numbers I thought I might need into the computer and printed them. I cut the paper to the smallest size possible and laminated the list in plastic, and keep it in the case. Phone numbers such as TowBoatUS and the local Coast Guard Search and Rescue desk.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do a little checking on the internet and you will find that Globalstar has admitted publicly that they have lost most of their satellites due to premature failures of their internal amplifier components. That is the fundamental reason for the spotty coverage. According to the experts, it will be 2009 before their coverage is back to where it should be. Its useable in the Gulf, but you have to keep trying every hour or so until the handset indicates that it has found a satellite. They launched 4 new satellites in late June, and my ability to connect seems to have improved somewhat. If you can play the game of connecting when you can, its far cheaper than Irridium. If you want to place the call when you want to, you currently have no choice but Irridium. The unfair thing is that they have never notified any of their customers of this problem, and continue billing every month as though nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Possession Limit said:
Do a little checking on the internet and you will find that Globalstar has admitted publicly that they have lost most of their satellites due to premature failures of their internal amplifier components. That is the fundamental reason for the spotty coverage. According to the experts, it will be 2009 before their coverage is back to where it should be. Its useable in the Gulf, but you have to keep trying every hour or so until the handset indicates that it has found a satellite. They launched 4 new satellites in late June, and my ability to connect seems to have improved somewhat. If you can play the game of connecting when you can, its far cheaper than Irridium. If you want to place the call when you want to, you currently have no choice but Irridium. The unfair thing is that they have never notified any of their customers of this problem, and continue billing every month as though nothing is wrong.
John, you are 100% correct. I called globalstar to complain about the lousy service, they reduced my bill to half of what I was paying. I'm still thinking of cancelling and going with the iridium. I haven't been able to get service for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do not buy global star. I have had one for about 5 years, and it used to work great. I have not been able to make a call on it for the last year. I just bought an Iridium, and so far it has works great.

·
Port Aransas Shark Hunter
347 Posts
I made the switch two weeks ago. I used a friend's Iridium (becasuse my Globalstar wouldn't hold a call) on a Viking's flybridge under the tuna tower etc. and it worked as if I had a clear view of the sky. Try that with Globastar even when their satelites were good.

I have been with Globastar for over 5 years now and have been very please up until their reported problems began.

If you are buying a satelite phone for safety...do not buy Globastar.

ps. The carrier I use (GMPCS) out of Florida credited my Globastar account for 6 months of charges.

Iridium 9505A To Go Kit
Product Code: IRITOGO

The Iridium 9505A To Go Kit has everything you need to take your communications with you, including AC wall charger & DC cigarette charger, a battery and a custom Pelican case to keep it all together and safe. The ideal To Go Kit for emergency situations.
Black Orange Yellow
Includes:
Iridium 9505A To Go Kit: 9505A Phone, PEL-1300 Pelican Case, High Capacity Battery, Int'l. AC Travel charger & plug kit, Portable Auxiliary Antenna, Antenna Adapter, DC Cigarette Lighter Adapter, Earpiece,Leather Case, User's Guide. 1 year warranty.

Case Color Options:
Black Yellow Orange

·
Registered
68 Posts
As has been stated, Glabal Star is not a good option right now. Iridium is the only way to go. I bought a used phone with warranty from Satellite Outfitters. It cost me $800 and came with all accessoreis and a case. It's $1.50 per minute but thats dirt cheap for emergency calls. I do call friends sometimes if i cathc something nice and want to brag... It gets service immediately, every time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
chad said:
Do not buy global star. I have had one for about 5 years, and it used to work great. I have not been able to make a call on it for the last year. I just bought an Iridium, and so far it has works great.
Same deal here. Worked great in Panama and Columbia. Now I can rarely get service in my backyard. "Waiting for service" doesn't really help much when you are sinking.

·
Dick - 1972 Formula 223
830 Posts
Just a follow up on GlobalStar.

I had paid the $600 one time charge for 1 year service that was due for renewal in November 2007. I called to complain about spotty coverage, and they extended my contract for three months at no charge.

They told me about the four new satellites that have recently been placed in orbit, and informed me that four more new ones will be put up before the end of the year.

If I haven't seen a vast improvement in coverage by Feb. 2008, I'll be switching to Iridium.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought Iridium from gmpcs also, so far they have been very professional and service has been good offshore gulf and chandeleurs. Actually, mine works under the hard top most of the time too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts