2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an advertisement for Satellite Tv to PC (Satellite Direct) that says they are perfectly legal and that you can actually hook up your PC to your TV and have 3600 channels. There is only a one time download fee of around $50.00.

Anyone know anything?

·
Reel Easy
2,676 Posts
Getting pay channels with a Free to Air Receiver is somewhat in the gray area of legal vs illegal...purchasing an access card or writing your on card that decodes all of the channels is illegal...

We had one in college and it was a PIA cause getting the card re-written after Dish would send a erase signal was bad

A law firm I support is council for Echostar and they fight this stuff all day and will make your life hell if you get caught..they don't want the average Joe using the box but they do try and catch the guys making them and hacking them

My .02

·
Registered
674 Posts
this is different than modified FTA or access card.

There are a bunch of sites that offer sub tv over the internet. It is streaming video from like a sling box or other type of reciver hookuped up to a server.

The quality is sometimes very poor with a lot of freezing.

google channelsurfing and you will get the idea of what it's like.

·
Reel Easy
2,676 Posts
Looks like just a program that provides an interface for internet broadcasts...Looks like a scam to me or something I wouldn't pay for

·
Registered
674 Posts
you are correct with the interface doubt it is a scam. Not much is lost at one time fee of $50.

I use a free app to watch football and UFC fights and the video is bad.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting pay channels with a Free to Air Receiver is somewhat in the gray area of legal vs illegal...purchasing an access card or writing your on card that decodes all of the channels is illegal...

We had one in college and it was a PIA cause getting the card re-written after Dish would send a erase signal was bad

A law firm I support is council for Echostar and they fight this stuff all day and will make your life hell if you get caught..they don't want the average Joe using the box but they do try and catch the guys making them and hacking them

My .02
I understand that the FTA sites have all been shut down due to a new software that doesn't allow pirating the signal.

The system I am talking about is not that type, as it doesn't use a receiver or a dish....just uses your computer and an internet connection. I had hoped maybe someone in the 2cool family had tried it and could report their findings as to quality of signal, etc. In doing a little surfing, I find that there are several companies touting this.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
There is a system that uses card sharing. One card is subscribed, then it is broadcast by internet for a fee. I wouldn't dare touch it. Seems it would be very easy for Echostar to log the IP addresses. I sure don't need any certified letters from them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks BassGuitarMan.....some really good info in those links...bottom line is.....it is a rip off if you pay for it.

Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts