2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the family to PINS for a few hours on Sat. morning. Didn't take the kayak or big rods...just wanted to check out the beach conditions this trip. Stopped around 14mm after seeing some action in the wade gut.

I immediately started spooning while my wife put a finger mullet on. She caught a nice skip jack. I then put a mullet on and caught another. I then cut up Skippy and threw a small chunk into the second gut.

We coontinued to catch skips and very small jacks. The long rod produced three slot reds within one hour of putting the line out. The order goes like this: a 22", 28", then a 27". Here's the kicker...two of the reds were mangled by sharks. I do not know if it was while bringing them in, or if it happened before I hooked them. I will post pics when I get back home to NO POWER!

The weed was very little and manageable. Water clarity was slightly murky, and overall very fishable. The morning high tide was the best. As soon as the tide started going out most of the bait left for deeper water. The wind picked up towards noon and we departed around 1:00PM.

I'm sure the guys droping deep baits with kayaks did well...as much fresh bait that was in the surf.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
sweet, lots of reports of slot reds in the coastal bend and down south...

what kind of debris were you seeing up around the dunes? Good amount of fire wood for the fall and winter?

jc

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
there was a TON of wood and junk on the beach. We camped at the 21mm from Friday to Sunday and burned parts of wooden stairs along with a couple wooden chairs we found after high tide. There will be plenty of wood for camp fires throughout the winter I'm sure. We also caught a few 25" reds and about a million skipjacks. The little jacks were also tearing up our spoons we were throwing. We we getting baby pomano, jacks, mullet and skipjacks in the cast net during high tide. There was a lot of bait in the water. We had a lot of problems with weeds and plastic trash debris on our yaked baits. We had trouble keeping them deployed. Never caught anything bigger than the 25" reds. We did see one 4' shark come up in one of the wave for some mullet but that was all we saw in the surf. I saw a few other folks out there that looked like they knew what they were doing. I'm interested in some other reports on the shark fishing. We sure didn't do any good. Maybe next time. Thanks for the report..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm good

Big time! The manglin' was fresh and only towards the tails. I cut the bite marks out....just ate them, so I'll let you know in the morning. Mmm good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts