2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many 2coolers remember this Sargent....

1. The Hungry House

2. Great White Shark on top of boat house at Carancahua Street.

3. Old "Elbow" that lived at the swing bridge. (anybody know if he's still around?)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Who remembers Sargent in the early 1970s?

Especially Graham's Groovy Grocery? Owners were kinda hippies.

Right across the swing bridge on the left. I went to school with their daughter.

In the 60's there used to be several rows of beach houses where now there is water. Beach erosion is that bad after they built the Quintana jetties.

·
Fish Doctor
4,989 Posts
How many 2coolers remember this Sargent....

1. The Hungry House

2. Great White Shark on top of boat house at Carancahua Street.

3. Old "Elbow" that lived at the swing bridge. (anybody know if he's still around?)

Peppers bar.M+T Grocery.The Happening. Georgie Porgies.The other woman.I haven't seen Elbow in years. You know why they called him that? Linda's bait camp, and bar. Wet tshirt night brought the crowds. Why, I don't know. Those girls were rough, to say the least. We called the Great White house "Disneyworld"

·
Stepped in what?
9,569 Posts
Got my first boat at 12 or 13...14' foot with a 6 hp....parents had a house on Seagull. M&T was a favorite stop for fuel, pickled hot sausages, Funyuns and an RC Cola.

Heck I used to hunt doves on my go cart with a 410 all over the place.

How about Lilly's restaurant?

Almost to the swing bridge on the right.

I remember two things about that place as a kid....a monster hamburger for a 10 year old....and the picture on the wall of dogs playing pool.

Or Sharpio's cut (not sure on the spelling)?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Did any you FISH?? From 70s on We caught untold # of bull reds (released unless eating size)sharks/stingray/Specs/flounder ...it was a Gold mine...We always fished between Sarg and Brown Cedar cut tell it closed then in time Mitchels Cut showed up....Gave up few years back too crowded for us...Back to Ditches

·
Vendor
6,012 Posts
Bill and Effie's marina back in the 60's - now Caney Creek Marina. Bill and Effie lived on site in an old trailer.

Anyone remember the Caney Creek Hilton?

I saw Elbow a few years ago in Freeport - he married some young thang.

·
Smokin' a GULP!
911 Posts
Crazy, this is my childhood. The tiny old bridge over Sharpio's Cut before it closed up. My dad knew Elbow, and I remember meeting him a time or two when I was about 10. Fishing the lights in the canals, my dad had a double lot there on Hall rd. It just seemed so much easier to catch fish back then, quality and volume. Steak fingers and fries at the Hungry House, shooting pool, playing music on the jukebox. The guy across the street from the hungry house that would park his helicopter in his yard and had his own refueling tank there too. I remember sleeping on the deck of the house down there when the skeeters weren't too bad, looking up at the stars and listening to the diesels humming by on the intercoastal.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
80's and 90's

Fished it often in the 80's and 90's. Fish were plentiful and boats were few. It's a zoo now. I stay away from it. But we always looked forward to the Hungry House burger. We would park the boat in the surf at Brown Cedar and lite the trout up all day. And if not there, the bay was wide open. Not anymore. I-10 rush hour.

·
Banned
4,987 Posts
I miss the chicken fried steak sandwiches at the Hungry House. They were so big that after you ate all the meat hanging out from the bun you were full and had to save the rest for latter. Linda's was the greatest bar in the world. It's the only place I've ever seen that had a 55 and older division for a wet T shirt contest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is true. There were times when you fished during the week and you wouldn't see another boat in Easy Matty Bay until you go back to the ICW.

If you went east out of Sargent and went towards Cow Trap or somewhere back there you better not have any boat trouble...you could be stuck for days.

Good times.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts