2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"Skinny She Ain't"
2,301 Posts
how bad did Sargent get damaged ?
other site has some PICS, I would say some faired well why others did not. some pics of new construction obvisously down, some RV covers twisted up and blown over. some roofs missing. Haven't heard much on how high the water got or of the flooding they had. also haven't seen how the back canals look which tends to be alot more open space for wind to do its damage ( house not set as tight as the front canals, right on top of each other, lot of empty lot space.) Glad we grab our camper at the last minute, pretty sure it would have flipped.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to drive down there from Liberty tomorrow for a recon of the damage...Hope the RV on Neptune street that I rent is still there ....

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sargent has been wiped before and will be again ,matter of time ........... will not take a big storm to do it .......
I hear from locals the County has promoted Sargent to "Resort" status (LOL) for tax purposes ......I was interested in purchasing a lot there for an RV set up on a canal ....not any more ....at $250K + asking prices for a POS ..prior to 2018 prices were OK ...... Sargent was the last spot on the Texas coast to remain reasonably priced ......the point of that new Bridge is for development like all the rest of the coast ....but till an 8 mile seawall is constructed the beach will soon be under the new bridge ...........

·
Registered
44 Posts
It wasn't that bad. Big trees along the creek down everywhere.Pretty much structures that got tore up should have been torn down along time ago. Finally got power yesterday.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what was the storm surge height across the beach ? ...plus high tide ....plus swollen Cainy Creek ?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after looking at it ............this storm was promoted to be much worse than actual by the news media ............sustained 75 mph winds may have been exaggerated some ........................

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless of coarse your a property owner that got their stuff tore up. Like me and my neighbor's
sorry to hear about your property ...I am coming down today to check Sargent for myself ... Hope the place I rent on Neptune street survived ..I had plans to come down for a week just before the storm hit
I have lost a fair amount over the years to Hurricanes ....mostly flooding which was bad due to heavy rains

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a three hour survey of Sargent yesterday .....2:10 down ....1:50 back was a long day .........place I rent on Neptune street looked undamaged ..........Crab Trap OK and busy
Talked to Charlie a the Bait camp for a report .........talked to a woman (forgot her name) at Joey's Bait for a report ..
I had fears of a lot more damage than I actually saw ....... Luck was with Sargent again ... D Law Liberty Tx

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Drove down, mainly to see and drive over the new bridge, but I drove by a couple of properties that belonged to friends. Seemed like the damage was mainly trees and landscaping, but there were some roof panels and wall panels that looked like they came off of sheds. Down on the beach, there were a few homes that got damage to the downstairs breakaway (garages) portions. A couple of those had the garage door damaged badly enough that they had been removed.

Water was beautiful when I got there so I made a few casts at the beachfront (no catches).

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drove down, mainly to see and drive over the new bridge, but I drove by a couple of properties that belonged to friends. Seemed like the damage was mainly trees and landscaping, but there were some roof panels and wall panels that looked like they came off of sheds. Down on the beach, there were a few homes that got damage to the downstairs breakaway (garages) portions. A couple of those had the garage door damaged badly enough that they had been removed.

Water was beautiful when I got there so I made a few casts at the beachfront (no catches).
Bicycle Cloud Sky Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
205 Posts
"..but till an 8 mile seawall is constructed the beach will soon be under the new bridge ..........."

no doubt about that..my folks had a cabin in the 70s about a mile or so east of the bridge. Where it was is probably 300 yards or more out in the water. And back then the beach was another several hundred yards from our cabin.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There's pictures from the 50's and there was 8-10 roads with houses on the beach side of the ICW. Bob Friday used to mow yards on that side when he was young.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I went down there last year for the first time since probably '79 when I was a kid, it was amazing
how far the beach had come in. Couldn't believe they were building that probably crazy expensive bridge there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts