2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hunting Machine!
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we hit Sargent sat. break of dawn till 7pm. just me and my bud. Time out from the kid's this weekend thang--get more beer time that way!

Hit the draw bridge 1st w/ live shrimp and a new 19 mr--no takers except for the hawk sized mosquitos going at it for a fresh pint of my blood! Ha!

Moved on down the intercoastal and hit it for a while--caught some bull whiting and gaff's.

Then went to the surf and hit the 3rd bar--couldn't even throw fast enough--as soon as the bait hit the water had fish on! Went to a double drop and hit them 2 at a time for 5hrs straight. Granted they were bull whiting and sandies from 10-16" and small shark to 2'--but man we caught about 150 of those buggers! Kept 75 of them as my boy Johnney loves those bad boy's over any fish out there!
Caught so many fish thought my arms were falling off! Just good to get that "fish on" thang working!
Got home and had one heck of a fish fry! Yes we ate them all--for the fish police! Ha! We did release the small ones. There I said it!
What a blast! My boat is down 4 now so I am looking for some places to bank and wade.
The guy's down from us were catching 5-6' sharks w/ kayack'en out the bait!
We stayed a bit closer in--me no likey los sharkies grandies! Ha!

Nothin' special but we had FUN!

swamp out!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like you had fun, we also did pretty good in the cut with some sharks, spanish mackerel, sting rays, a couple Specks and a nice size Jack. We caught some whiting and croaker too but nothing like yours.
Philip

·
Hunting Machine!
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We wanted to go to the cut but ended up taking the wrong road and ended up at a dead end on a levy so setteled for the intercoastal --I don't know anything about that neck of the woods--gotta get my boat working! Just glad to have non-stop action!

·
Registered
40 Posts
sargent

Sounds like a blast.!!!!........saw one of the local guides at the store friday and he said they were tearing the trout up in the surf..........just curious what size boat do you have never been thru the cut and into the surf. i have a small 16 ft'er......?.......we fish friday afternoon and all day sat around bird island and the south shore with not much luck...sunday tried the cut for a bit and the same story.....moved down the IC to 1 of the cuts.and found the ( tide moving from the IC into the bay at a pretty good clip)......and the trout were on.........caught around 30 or so with alot of dinks...... and a number of undersize reds..16 to 18 inchers..and mangrove snappers on shrimp under popping corks...........keep 10 trout with 1 up to 24.5 inch.......left them bitting.....!!!!.........monday am's back in houston are a pain....................

·
Registered
253 Posts
Swampus

The cut is much easier to reach by boat, we have done it by truck but it's a ruff ride.

Mikey,
I've heard of some using smaller boats when the surf is dead calm, but I would ask around because I know nothing about boating out there.

Philip

·
Hunting Machine!
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes We got stuck 2 times--it is a bit rough driving to the cut...............I cary a chain all times--my 1 ton will sink in a spit hole w/ the 4 wheel drive out--we pulled out 2 folks ourselves!--then played it safe and surf fished --turned out to be a blast!

I need to talk to some of my buds here on the board into throwin' some gas $ together and make a boat day!.....I WILL have the beer!..............still fishin'! Ha!

Think I'll get outside and work on my boat elect. this afternoon--She is a 68' Larson W/ 100 Johnson Stump Jumper on it! She aint purdy but may need a power pack--we will see! I gotta get on the water!

Thanks 4 all the pm's on spots guy's!

swamp

·
Registered
109 Posts
sargent

I hit the surf on sargent beach with my father and my wife on Saterday also, We ended with three sharks to 4', a 41" monster fat red, and to many trout (sand) to count. Sunday the wind changed and I could not find the fish again. All fish caught on casted rods, no fish caught on kayaked baits. The surf was on fire!

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Looked around

I showed up late saturday morning.
Pulled a van out. Lots of shad, no hits on top.

The boy finished playin and we hit the bay.
Caught a great tripletail on arty in EM.

Tried a wade looking for a big girl.
Waded a dirty sand flat/shoreline on the N shore.
She didn't hit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Going down around the 4th of July. Does anyone know which cut to take into East Matty from the Intercoastal coming from Sargent. Do not want to have to push/pull if the tide is low and I do not want to run all the way down the big cut in Gorda. Any good shell areas to wade for redfish in East Matty? Any beneficial info would be great!! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Swampus said:
We wanted to go to the cut but ended up taking the wrong road and ended up at a dead end on a levy so setteled for the intercoastal --I don't know anything about that neck of the woods--gotta get my boat working! Just glad to have non-stop action!
Did you go down past the park and follow the road along the IC until you hit the levy? If so, and you want to get to the cut you have to drive up on top of the levy and go around to the right - that'll take you to the cut.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
redfishtails said:
Going down around the 4th of July. Does anyone know which cut to take into East Matty from the Intercoastal coming from Sargent. Do not want to have to push/pull if the tide is low and I do not want to run all the way down the big cut in Gorda. Any good shell areas to wade for redfish in East Matty? Any beneficial info would be great!! Thanks.
Safest bet is to run down the IC until you come to the cut with a large tripod. Once inside the cut you can go right and follow the shoreline (stay a good ways out) and you'll come to Bird Island - you'll know when you're there. Beyond that is half moon shoals - easy to find, just watch for the crowds. Other option is to head south once you go through the cut and work the south shoreline. Good luck - see ya there.

·
3,776 Posts
tripod

The tripod is about 3 miles down the ICW.
That is the best entrance.
Stay to the right half while taking that cut.
Then there is nothing in your way between you and the SS.

Good luck.

·
Hunting Machine!
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fishin-Inc--u drive a black 4x4?--straps? I was the one w/ the chain helping that van! If so Thanks!--those guys gave me a pull just 5 min. b 4! "People on the River are happy to give!"

We got to the levy and went to the middle one should of taken to the right! Next time! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The safest is to go past the gulf cut count about 4 cuts you will see a big tripod take a left in thier and your in East Matty.The further you go west the clearer the water will get.Stay on South Shoreline headed west and you will hit the Oyster Farm Reef.you catch reds all down the South Shoreline.GOOD LUCK.

·
3,776 Posts
That was me!!

Swampus said:
Fishin-Inc--u drive a black 4x4?--straps? I was the one w/ the chain helping that van! If so Thanks!--those guys gave me a pull just 5 min. b 4! "People on the River are happy to give!"

We got to the levy and went to the middle one should of taken to the right! Next time! Thanks!
Tis a small little world out there.
That sand was hot hot hot.
I just wanted to get out of there after that.

And go fishing. LOL

·
Hunting Machine!
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I remember You were Danceing a bit! You really saved the day for those girls! It's a good thang!--Next time ur out there and see us u need to stop 4 a couple of cool ones!

swamp!.........................buy'in straps!...............50'.......good call!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts