2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have fenced in oat patch on our lease. We always plant in the late summer for the fall.
We have never planted anything for spring.
Is there any thing we can plant in the sandy soil other than Oats that would be benifical to our deer Heard.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
quando omni flunkus, mortati
1,506 Posts
Got to your county extension office and get a soil sample bag. Follow the dirrections and send it in and they will be able to tell you what will work best for you. I always use a blend of seeds because you never know what conditions will be like through the growing season. Peas are a good choice, but i like to use a mix that includes them with milo, corn, sorgum, clover, sunflower, soybeans and other plants. The stuff we have been using cost about $50 per 50 pound bag but it will plant 2 to 3 acres for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should also consider the annual rainfall in your area. If you have a wet spring, you might get by with planting something for the summer. What ever you plant will use the moisture profile. Your fall planted oats may not have enough soil moisture to do what you need after a summer crop of something else if you are in an area that doesn't get the rain.

lockhart

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have had good luck planting peas, sunflowers, millet, milo, soybeans, lablab, etc. in the summer, then in late fall seed with a no til blend of clover, rie grass, and turnips. This will keep the food plot going until plowing and replanting in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts