2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might get a chance to hunt some of these this weekend? I am thinking #4 steel shot full or modified choke in my 12 gauge should do the trick?

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
hahahahaha no way dude. BB or T. Better yet Hevi Shot "Dead Coyote". Full choke for sure. I've wasted alot of shells with them bastages and still not a single one bagged. Flying Tanks.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,981 Posts
#4 shot is probably going to be too small unless you're getting some very close shots. Sandhills are very large, tough birds.

I would go BB, BBB or T in a 10 gauge or 3.5" 12 gauge.

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
I would use 3in BBB atleast. Modified or full choke. I took some 2 3/4 in 6's for clean up on the wounded ones. Those things get mad when u go get um and there just winged. Ended takin one down with the 2 3/4in, but he was close.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Have to disagree with the rest here.

Smaller shot will give you more chances at head, neck, and wings. most of the chest shots in any size and caliber will not bring one down and never make it through the meat and breast plate.

Lead 5s and 2s have proven to be the best but if you have to use steel than 2s and BBs have been the ticket.

Just like shooting lawn furniture!:work::work:

·
Registered
81 Posts

Smaller shot will give you more chances at head, neck, and wings. most of the chest shots in any size and caliber will not bring one down and never make it through the meat and breast plate.

Lead 5s and 2s have proven to be the best but if you have to use steel than 2s and BBs have been the ticket.

Yea....that will work great if you want wounded birds all over the county.sad3sm

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
Good point about the lead Wacker. Choice of shot size should depend on if your getn a close decoying shot or pass shooting them and there just in range. You mite be knockin feathers off with some 2's or smaller lead shot. Take different shot sizes with you. We shot over 40 of them last year, some pass shooting, some decoying. Guys used 3in 2's to 3 1/2in BBB.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yea....that will work great if you want wounded birds all over the county.sad3sm
What a assnine thing to say. maybe you should use the search function a little more be for trying to slam someone.

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
From what I understood, if you are crane hunting only, you can use lead. If you are shooting at ducks or geese or have any waterfowl decoys besides cranes, then you have to use steel.

For Cranes-
In the past, I used 12 guage 00 Buck shot when strictly crane hunting. The reason I didn't use 10 guage was because the heavy lead loads discharged some powder during the automatic ejection (SP10) that I felt in my face.

For Geese-
I use my 10 guage with BB.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts

Exactly. Lead 4's are my favorite.

"Yea....that will work great if you want wounded birds all over the county.sad3sm "

Wrong. Many of the old timers used lead 6's for the exact reason Wacker said.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What a assnine thing to say. maybe you should use the search function a little more be for trying to slam someone.
What exactly am I supposed to be searching for? What an expert you are on everything? And if I was "SLAMMING" you, you would have known it. Just stating my opinion like you were.

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
do what ole tred barta did on tv the other day . use a re-curve bow. he almost got one. lol
I saw that clip. I wonder how many arrows he actually slung at them. He hit one, but it didn't go down.Some of those birds were so low, a 410 could of put them dowm. Lots of birds. They sure were droppin them with the shotguns for sure thow.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts