2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the pass flats this morning 6:30-11:30 with only one blow up and a trout 25" C&R on bone Hedog. I'm liking my new medium action Kistler Helium for throwing big plugs. The tide was incoming, with water levels below normal and the bait was everywhere but the water was cloudy. SSW winds were/are light. The beachfront looks good except inshore is sandy.

Helped an elderly couple get off ground and it seems they had broken their steering cable so I towed themback to the KOA and gave 'em a ride to their car/trailer at Bahia Azul, even paid the 2$ at the bridge because they left their money in their boat.

Did catch a couple of pretty trout and a nice red on top in a W.bay south shore cove last evening. Lots of slicks popping in shallow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
is the beachfront fishable, im going for the third time tomorrow in the last week, and i want to keep a good streak going. You say its sandy inshore? How far out until its green?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Kenny,

Your act of kindness will be rewarded at some point. It's all about the karma when you go out of your way to assist folks. Nice work.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Thursday morning

What a difference a day makes. I bet between the three of us we had close to 30 trout on tops Thursday morning between 6:30 and 9:30 in the deep gut at the Pass. Most were undersized but some big ones were there. It was a very agressive topwater bite in the incoming tide. LOTS of macks running through the rafting mullet, flying out of the water. Lots of bait in the water. Monster blow ups too. Saw some croaker fishers catch a few large trout across the deep gut on that bar.

One trout about 16" was inhaled by a predator of some sort as my buddy was about to land it. May have been able to spool him, but he tightened the star down and in broke off. Added some excitement before driving to work.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30 trout

Now that really makes me feel better!
Troy, you waded from shore and fished the gut? How'd the water look, and was the tide really low?

Levi,
The SSW wind has the immediate beachfront sandy out several hundred yards.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Tide was low, but rising

kenny said:
Now that really makes me feel better!
Troy, you waded from shore and fished the gut? How'd the water look, and was the tide really low?
Water was perfect green, not too clear. Tide was moving in that gut at a pretty good clip. Not as fast as I have seen at times, but fast enough without being too fast to fish arty's. It was fast action at times. Then a lull, then bam bam bam. As much bait as I have ever seen in there.

And others were fishing out there. Something I rarely ever see on a non-holiday weekday. Probably 10-12 other fishers. And a few people doing fireworks (I hope).

Had to leave them biting as I had to scoot to work.

Kenny - I would give up all the little ones I caught that day for your 25"er.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nice report TM...k, get off the flats! Fish have moved! Wetlures and I fished the specktackular 2 day arty only tourney this weekend around the pass...

Tim

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
artificials only

FF,
and your point is.........? So how did you do in the tournament? Oh, how are they biting over behind that island in that muddy cut?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Point is, the flats are getting too hot for the fish to hold on them! Especially after 9am! I have been off the flats for about 3 weeks now! That is unless you are wading the very back flats in about waist deep or higher water! Not sure what muddy cut you are talking about, but there are still some nice trout holding in deeper areas! Wetluers and myself actually won the tourney this weekend! We waded one spot and never moved more than 100 yards both days! All of our fish were caught on top waters and a few on mirrolures! I think over the 2 day period we caught about 20 fish! We fished from 5am to 1pm both days, so obviously we did not have numbers! But we did manage to weigh in 6 fish over 2 days averaging 3.5lbs and 22"...

Tim

Ps My comment about the flats was not meant for you to move since the fish were there, but to help you out bro!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tim,
I was in a bad mood all day yesterday because I have to spend three days in Houston before I leave for Port O'Conner.
Congratulations on the win, you put the time in so you definitely deserve it!
Ciao

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Please TM lmao (you can potlick me anytime bro) ...I had enough Potlickers (potlicking) me this weekend! Sunday, in the last 45 minutes of the tourney with trout moving back in, I got potlicked by a fellow kayaker! Actually walked 2 kayaks between Tim's and my kayak! Saw me catch a trout and started fishing maybe 30 yards from me between my and my kayak! Like it was no big deal to him! Obviously, there are many fishermen out there who still just don't know simple ettiquette. If I had wanted him to fish right by me, I would have waived him over! Heck, in most instances I would! I have to apologize to my partner wetlures since most times I'm pretty passive. But I almost lost my cool with this guy!

Tim

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
FishFinder said:
I got potlicked by a fellow kayaker! Actually walked 2 kayaks between Tim's and my kayak! Saw me catch a trout and started fishing maybe 30 yards from me between my and my kayak!

Tim
Interesting! I got potlicked by a guy in a kayak in the surf on Sunday.
hmmmmmmm.......

Why buy a boat or use a kayak if you don't want to find your own spot to fish?

And I will NEVER understand being potlicked in the surf. Only about 20 miles of beachfront on Follett's and you have to fish RIGHT next to us? Hah!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Only 30 yards? You should go to Sabine...

troy merrill said:
Interesting! I got potlicked by a guy in a kayak in the surf on Sunday.
hmmmmmmm.......

Why buy a boat or use a kayak if you don't want to find your own spot to fish?

And I will NEVER understand being potlicked in the surf. Only about 20 miles of beachfront on Follett's and you have to fish RIGHT next to us? Hah!
...Where you're liable to be RAMMED. There are idiots on the lake who use a pair of binoculars more than a rod and reel. They scan for bent rods, fire up the outboard and ROAR in to cast RIGHT next to you - in the EXACT spot where your line made contact with the water - as if that were the only place that held fish.

Sabine is a good sized estuary. There's no need for anyone to get in anyone else's way, but they do it, anyway.

I love Allicat's avatar - but it needs an upgrade: Grenade launcher...that'll learn 'em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.