2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get down around the area under the bridge, on the Galveston/bay side.

I do not have a 4WD, and do not won't to get stuck! I know there's a way, I have seen plenty of 2WD vehicles down there. Just hoping to get a heads up from some experienced folks on this board.

Thank you so much for your help.

BTW.....awesome board

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
Honestly, trying to get to the bay side in a two wheel drive is a big chance. That place is a maze and the sand can be really bad. I wouldn't attempt it in a car. You can get off and go under the bridge and cross on the gulf side and drive back along the shoreline though. That may be your best bet. Just my opinion though.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
IseeSpots

Do have a truck? With all the rain, it should be pretty packed, but you may run into muddy and deep ruts. I do just fine with my Ranger. But I have a lift kit, and 32 inchers. Oh, its 2 wheel drive. First of all, avoid all sand. If your coming from the Freeport side, as soon as you get to the bottom of the bridge, take the first left. Follow that around untill you get to the end of the asphault. This may be the trickiest part. But once you get past that first drop off, look for roads, dirt roads heading to the right. Youll just have to try different ones untill you find the right one. Get to that island as soon as possible. You may have to backtrack a few times, but dont take chances. Stay out of the sand.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wanting to fish the bay side of the bridge, not the actual bay. So I was wondering if driving the beach from about the water tower back towards the pass,and following it under the bridge is the best way to get there?

·
Member since 1999
1,137 Posts
I went down there many times in a little Acura Integra....only got stuck once. You just have to be cautious and only drive on the packed stuff. Got a Toyota 4WD now so don't have to worry as much... :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bait

What is the best place to buy bait by San Luis Pass? Preferrably on the Galveston side. I understand there is an Ernie's Too on the other side. Is it right after the bridge or do you have to go a ways. Thanks.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
If you get stuck in the sand, dont dig it down further by trying to get out without first letting the air pressure down in your tires to about 5-10 pounds (depending on max rating). Air pressure, lack of, in your tires is what helps travelling through sand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another handy tip if you have a 2wd truck is to keep a couple of 2x8s in you bed. These work get for getting out of soft sand. Wedge them under your tires, especially you power tire and gently crawl up on them. I do not know how that would work in the mud on the bayside. I got stuck over by Christmas one time just trying to turn around. I got my back wheels off the packed sand and just a few feet in to the weeds. The first thing the wrecker driver told me on my cell phone was "Stop whatever you are doing, it will only sink farther" That mud on the bayside can be some nasty stuff. $150.00 lesson, stay on the packed stuff, stay out of the weeds!

Andy

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Galveston side

Enter the beach at Pointe San Luis. There is a paved entrance that is normally navigable with 2WD. Then stay close to the water all the way under the bridge. Should be no problem. If you try to enter the pass close to the toll bridge it is likely you will get stuck. Trucks get stuck there on occassion.

You can get bait at the Rusty Hook just East of Pointe San Luis. I think they sell live bait.

·
Wishin' I was fishin'
226 Posts
ernies two

ernies two is located where SY's was.... access road on bay side from the
Perigrene condos. have nice bait operation there. i think it is about 3 to 5 miles from the slp bridge, on right side - end of road on left side.

if you cast net - not many shrimp in bay yet - try around the old KOA - brazoria
park campground (on freeport side of slp) - in the weeds at dawn and after sunset

tight lines
ladyfish

·
Big Overgrown Galoot
1,061 Posts
The Bait shop right there at the pass is the Brite Light....nice folks..but you'll pay premium prices there...Shrimp $8/pint

Another old indian trick for gettin out of soft sand if lettin the air outta yer tires don't work is to hit the surf with your 5 gal bait bucket..several trips and turn the soft sand into hard pack...............also getcha one o those army surplus backpack folding shovel/pick.....keep it under seat.....comes in handy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts