2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· omanj
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the Pass later than I wanted (8:00 A.M.) after spending too much time trying to catch finger mullet in the cast net. I waded straight out on the Galveston side in the bay because the surf was up and I did not feel up to fighting the waves. After feeding a seemingly endless supply of hardheads my shrimp, I cast out a freelined mullet and after checking the bait a couple of times, I got a great strike as soon as the bait hit the water. The line was going against the drag on my curado pretty fast and I though I hooked a blacktip beacuse of the speed of my line cutting the water. Suddenly it ran toward me and it was a big spanish mackeral! He suddenly stopped his run, shook his head and out came the hook! Oh well, I tried another cast and set the rod in the holder on my doughnet while I changed lures on my other rig. My rod started leaning and I had another good run, but it spit out the bait. Next cast and I waited until I finally had a strong pull. I could feel something mouthing the bait, and suddenly my line started peeling off as I saw a big fin on the surface. I almost got spooled twice, but each time i was able to pressure him to slow down and turn back towards me. After twenty five minutes, I had a six foot bull shark next to me in shin deep water. Seeing his size, it only took me a second to do the sensible thing and cut the line. The fish took off like a shot and I eventually made my way back to shore. I didn't get that tagged redfish, but I got a good workout with my biggest inshore shark caught on light tackle.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.