2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants to take my son and I out to San Luis Pass this coming Saturday for my birthday. Does anyone know if the flounder are likely to be running as hard there as I feel they will be closer to the GYC? I'd like to stick to the GYC and SWP area because I believe this front coming thru is going to flood the area with flounder, but my Bro thinks we'll have better luck heading to San Luis.

Also, there is a cut between Bastrop Bay and West Bay that he has in mind as our main target, just South of Oyster Lake and a little over 2 miles North of the San Luis Pass, fishing the Galveston Bay side of the cut.

If the flounder aren't as active as we expect, does anyone here have enough experience in the area to advise alternate fishing targets and baits to use?

Any help is appreciated. I'll make sure and post results if we do any good.

Tight lines to ya!

·
Banned
101 Posts
I caught the heck out of them this past Black Friday in Galveston, so I bet they are running there as well. Besides, they wouldn't change the regulations to 2 bag limit this time of year if there wasn't a good reason. And on that topic, I did see a lot of anglers who were "apparently unaware" of the new regulations regarding flounder. I was fishing on fly, so catch-and-release seemed very appropriate. i have a pretty good picture of one here - http://texasflycaster.com/ .

·
Registered
261 Posts
they are very thick in GSC everywhere right now...im sure they are running through san luis pass very well too!

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
That is a good question. I can remember several years ago more than once being one of 50 to 100+ people flounder fishing under the Galveston side bridge fishing an out going tide. You have not heard of anyone fishing there in several years for flounder.

WONDER WHY??
Did the flounder stop moving thru there and biting or did the guys get smarter not post and let everyone and his brother plus a few more all go down to SW and GYB and post the evils of the parking and the good part of catching among several hundred or more fishermen ? ;) :)

I would look at two things. With the storm last year the KOA side changed completely. The shore line filled in and moved out 100+ yards straight out from the KOA to a deep water gut that is now fishable from the shore. Plus now where cold Pass turns in the water is now over 40+ ft deep in that area for a deep hole.

I have not been down there flounder fishing like I used to so it is a toss up. Drive down and watch a few minutes. Either there are a lot of fish being caught or nada.

Another great place in past years is the cove that is about a 1/2 mile or so up Cold Pass. You can go past the KOA around the corner and see the culvert and cove on the right. Many times we have killed the flounder here in past years on an incoming tide when the flounder jump up on the bar and are moving out in the gut. The CP main gut bends just at the right side of the cove and there is a long bar that runs all across the front of the cove with the main opening on the right side into of the cove facing from the road and was wadeable last time when the bar was exposed. Now? You can walk/wade in from the road. Carefull to park on the flat that is past the ditch because high tide can sink a car. Mud in cove is about knee deep+ so pick your walk in carefully if you want to try. Have walked in from both sides. If not too cold now usually some reds, flounder and trout in the cove.
Not fished here in a couple of years from kayaking days.

Luck.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think the flounder will find any pass with flowing water. I have caught many good flounder at SLP, but more and bigger at Seawolf. If I were going to fish Mud cut, I would be sure to fish the side where the water is flowing to. The Flounder will be there.

·
fish control my brain
7,713 Posts
In the past 10 yrs, the flounder run at San luis pass has almost died.

I knew of numerous people from out of state that would come down to the KOA and camp out for the month, and flounder fish everyday.

They would not limit out everyday, but these were regulars for years down there.

Even before IKE there was a major drop in flounder catches under the bridge.

This is what made me believe that conservation efforts needed to happen.

Yes there are flounder that still move through there, but no where NEAR, what it was just 5 years ago.

I do believe we will see it come back with reduced limits, and no gigging in November.

I know of a dozen gigging boats that hit X-Mas, bastrop, Chocolate bay systems regulary.....these boats put numerous limits in their boxes every November, and used to double limit before regulations changed on that.

·
Banned
101 Posts
OK, so while we are talking limits, my blood pressure was getting up just seeing guys string up more than their limit, and part of the reason I left was that I was getting a bit worked up about it. What should someone do when they witness something like that? Keep in mind I wasn't carrying (that day).

·
cluck, cluck
274 Posts
texasflycaster,

Call the game warden and if possible have their vehicle license plate number, type, etc. or boat "TX" number when you call. Their number escapes me right now, but it is listed on your fishing license.

Remember that any peace officer can make an arrest for a game warden and there are a lot of officers that fish. . . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts