2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After postponing an extended trip last week, finally made it out to the Pass for a few days of fishing. Tuesday started out kind of slow under the lights around the Brazoria RV Park until around 3:00 am. Started catching dink after dink for a couple of hours. Decided not to launch the boat for the morning excursion and opted for a morning wade. After an early breakfast, hit the surf at the Condos at day break. Good move!! Proceeded to keep busy until around 8:30 catching trout. Me and a buddy managed to keep around 14 for a fish fry. Keepers were mostly 15 - 18 inches. They were really nailing the live shrimp. Had one run that almost spooled me. No telling what it was. There was alot of bait and predator activity in the water. Spanish macs and blues were pretty aggressive. The conditions Wednesday morning were perfect. It reminds me why I am such a fanatic about fishing. It does not get any better than that!!

I was planning on setting up my lights Wednesday night with a generator under the SLP bridge so I launched the boat early that afternoon. Got news that some bad weather was coming our way so I decided to pull the boat back out of the water and cancel my trip under the bridge. Another good move. Wind picked up so I set the alarm clock at 2:00 am to fish the incoming tide at the park. Over slept but I was told by one of the campers that right before the cool front hit keeper trout were being picked up under the lights.

Checked out the surf during the day on Thursday looked ok with the wind still blowing mostly from the northeast. Picked up a quart of live shrimp at Brite Lite and headed back over to the condos. Water was still pretty green but not like Wednesday morning. First cast a nice 18 inch spec nails my shrimp. Then the dinks start hitting pretty hard. In between the dinks we manage around 7 specks but that is not what I will remember from the trip. Around 7:00 I look off in the surf for some reason, not watching my cork, and see a kingfish explode out the water chasing bait fish. It was like slow motion. Beautiful!!! The gafftop were real thick. I must have caught 7 in the 3 - 5 pound range. Told my father in law, who joined us later that evening, that I hated those slimey gafftop and he very quickly told me that gafftop are very good eating! I guess I have to be pretty hungry to eat a gafftop!! Anyways, tried fishing Friday am around 2:00 - 4:00 and caught a couple of dinks under the lights. Was going to stay until Saturday but decided to head back early due to the howling east wind. Surf is really messed up!

Well, I guess I will offer to take my wife to any chick flick she wants to see tonight so that maybe I will have another multiple fishing day adventure kitchen pass in the near future. I love fall fishing!!

Take care!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Great report!!! Keep throwing them Gafftop back so there's more for me. You are missing out on great eating fish. Fried GT is better than fried Reds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
GSMAN...if you make a foil boat...take one of those slimy gafftop and just gut and cut the head off. Lay it in the foil and pour about 1/2 cup of a white wine over it, a squeeze of lemon juice and maybe alittle salt & pepper. Next place 3 or 4 thin slices of lemon right on top of the fish...along with some slices of butter. Now crank up the gas grill to med. and place her on the grill. Lay a piece of foil over the fish loosely and close the grill...but use a 1" piece of wood or something to keep the grill lid slightly open. In 45 min. to an hour you will have an outstanding meal ready to eat. Just take a fork and poke the skin right at the head and peel it all the way off the fish. Meat will just fall right off the bone and with the wine, lemon and butter gravy....mmmmmm....very taste fish....to me it's much better than freshwater cats. BTW......I worked out that receipe with my old 80 y.o italian grandmother....she gets the credit for that one...lol. Try it...I bet you'll be a big gafftop fan in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts