2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the family to San Diego this summer. Not familiar with the area.

Which of the following would you recommend? We are planning on hitting Legoland, Zoo, Belmont Park, a day bumming around the city and maybe a trip to Anaheim.

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
San Diego Marriott La Jolla

Thanks a ton in advance for your thoughts on the specific hotel properties as well as which area would be the nicest.

Tight Lines.

·
Just call me Breeze
17,288 Posts
LaJolla, DelMar, Mission Valley in that order. I went there in 1970, stayed 5 years. Very scenic, beautifull city. Zoo is VERY big, don't even try to see it all, just enjoy what you can. A trip to the Hotel Coronado might be worth it if you have time. Find the Ice Cream Place. Good beach also. I'd forget Anaheim unless its a kid thing. Enjoy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I lived in 60 miles north of San Diego from 98 - 02. All of the palces you picked are nice and it depends on how old you rkids are and how long you are staying.

Mission Valley - Closer to downtwon San Diego and the zoo.

DelMar - closer to Lego land and Anaheim

La Jolla - middle of the bunch

All 3 are nice but the DelMar and La Jolla locations are probably nice, quieter. There is a lot of stuff in the Mission Valley area, shopping centers, restaraunts. Most of the same stuff we have here.

The zoo is an ALL day event. A lot of walking but they also have a few bus tours. They also have a Wild Animal park in Escondido that is nice. It is about 20 miles north of San Diego. It has a tram that goes around the park and the animals are in much larger, more natural, enclosures.

Lego Land was a waste for my kids. They were way too young. If your kids build a bunch of stuff with Legos then it might be better. I would still rather spend the money and go to Disney Land.

Plan on some quality car time. SoCal has some of the best traffic. Of course, I live in San Antonio and only drive a 1.5 miles to the office every day.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
definately check out the historic "hotel del coronado," then have lunch on the veranda facing the beach. it was built in 1888, and is considered one of the finest beach hotels in the world. a virtual "who's who" of america have stayed there at one time or another, and many of their pictures line the walls of the main floor. the great movie, "some like it hot," with tony curtis, jack lemmon and marilyn monroe was filmed there in 1959. if you can afford to stay there, do so.

·
Premium Member
15,745 Posts
Must visit Solidad Mountain in LaJolla and Sunset cliffs and tide pools at the tip of Point Loma. Also the wild aminal park is very cool after a nice ride through the mountains.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Definitely do Hotel Del and see the fools gold flakes in the beach sand and glittering in the surf as it churns it up. Walk through the hotel and check it out.

You can take the train to Tj also and then a cab to Revolution street for tourist shopping in Mexico.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Keep em coming

Thanks to all for the suggestions, keep em coming!!!

Tight Lines.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just got back from a week in San Diego visiting family. It's a beautiful place and I'd like to convince my wife to move there for a month each summer.

A visit to Coronado is in order, beautiful beach, big park, and lots of nice shops and restaurants. The Hotel Coronado is great.

Balboa Park and the "Old Town" section of San Diego are neat to visit. For nightlife, the Gaslight Quarter was pretty impressive, too many good bars, restaurants, and shops (not to mention the world class girlwatching).

We stayed at Point Loma, across from Fisherman's Landing where many of the big Long Range fishing boats are based, and if you like offshore fishing, those boats are worth a look just for fun, if you can be there to see one come in, that's very cool. Point Loma is a boater's dream. Many beautiful homes, beautiful gardens as well. At the top of Point Loma is the Cabrillo Lighthouse which gives you an incredible view of the Pacific.

San Diego also has an incredible music scene. They have a magazine called "Reader" that is free and has nothing but details of what to do in San Diego as far as dining, and entertainment. The number of top name musicians that come to the area is overwhelming. Check out SanDiegoReader.com for more details on things to do.

San Diego also has a Sea World if you are interested, and there is also the an Aquarium at the Scripps Institute near Torrey Pines.

Lots of cool stuff and great weather besides. Have a good trip.

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
As you are out cruising around and get hungry, go to Freds in Pacific Beach ( or PB if your local). Awesome fish tacos. If you want to cruise up into the hills try Julian, quaint little town. Go to Julian Pie Co. All they need is Blue Bell there and the pie would be complete. Pretty darn good anyway.

Mike T

·
Elder Angler
985 Posts
mastercylinder said:
definately check out the historic "hotel del coronado," then have lunch on the veranda facing the beach. it was built in 1888, and is considered one of the finest beach hotels in the world. a virtual "who's who" of america have stayed there at one time or another, and many of their pictures line the walls of the main floor. the great movie, "some like it hot," with tony curtis, jack lemmon and marilyn monroe was filmed there in 1959. if you can afford to stay there, do so.
Don't show up there for a meal dressed in shorts or jeans. IIRC, the Coronado was the first hotel in the US to have lectricity.

·
Registered
386 Posts
San Diego is a wonderful city. I go out there once a month for work. Here are some of my suggestions:

Depending on the age your your kids, the aircraft carrier Midway is really cool.

Little Italy near downtown for good Itialian food.

If they are in town, go see the San Diego Padres.

Check out some of the local activities such as outdoor kid's theaters or concerts.

Sea World.

Spend some time around the harbour. Take the ferry or one of the tour boats.

If the kids are older, run up to Orange County. That way they can say they spent time in the "OC".

Plan your activities around rush hour. Del Mar and La Jolla traffic can be bad in the evenings.

Don't forget the beach.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
When we lived in Calif, San Diego was our weekend getaway spot. We always stayed in the Gas Lamp district, great food and great sights. You've gotta visit Old Town as well, neat places to eat and walk thru. And you are close to Fishermans Landing, some of the best Albacore fishing in the world. Great city. If you get to stay at Hotel Coronado, do it. Tons of history there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts