2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please mark your calendars and get your video tapes ready.!!
The story that Doug Miller, of CHANNEL 11 News ,wrote and cameraman Frank McBride shot at the mouth of the San Bernard River is scheduled to air Wednesday, July 12 on the 10:00 news. It will run about 3 minutes (that is long for a news story). We will post changes, if any occur, as we learn of them .

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
I saw the special on the san benard river and its ashame that the river is dying, it does not even flow in to the gulf anymore. Its blocked by sand.. the river acually flows east through the inter coastal canal to the brazos. they are hoping to dredge an opening to the sea but the finaces are not available.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Actually, they first have to come up with the funds to do a study on re-opening the mouth. If they can prove that it will not adversely impact the environment by re-opening the mouth ( that has been there since the beginning of the river) then they will be able to think about re-opening it.
Katrina and Rita dealt the San Bernard it's death blow! With all the hurricance assistance funds that were wasted on Booze, Boobs, and lord knows what else, they problem could of ben solved.

·
Banned
27 Posts
What has changed the course of the Bernard mouth over the years, of which it at one time, use to flow pretty straight into the gulf, is that over the years, since they Brazos mouth was moved to it's present location, all the sand and such has come down the beach towards the Bernard. Over time...the Bernard started making that right turn down the beach. Now...it is about a mile down to where the bernard USE to enter the gulf. If we could drive past Cedar Cut on Sargent Beach....we would now be able to drive to the Brazos Mouth....like driving down Matagorda to Mitchell's Cut. Lost Lake Cut near the Brazos mouth is solid beach now also. We will have to take a really good storm from the Gulf to open these back up...for a while. Too bad because the bernard mouth was a TERRIFIC place to wade fish........

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
WOW I saw it last night, I can not believe that, I sure hope they get it open and can put in some sort of Jetty system. I grew up down there, we had a weekend house on the river we went to almost every weekend.

My other delima with this is my dad's wishes when he passes is to be cremated and his ashed poured at the Mouth of the San Bernard...

FN

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Fishnut said:
My other delima with this is my dad's wishes when he passes is to be cremated and his ashed poured at the Mouth of the San Bernard...

FN
Doh!

I saw the segment and it was nice exposure. Will business come back to Bernard if it is opened? That in itself would be a strong selling point to the govt. on acquiring funds as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
From the story it appeared that a lot of the silting occured because of work done on the Brazos. Because of continued silting from that the mouth wandered south along the coast. Then the huricanes dealt it a hard blow as well. It seems that all the outflow is headed to the Brazos' via the intercoastal. I would think that a jetty system at the MOB coupled with dredging open the San Bernard would be essential to making it a naviagable waterway... as it should be.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the MOSB and the MOB I took a couple of months ago. The MOB is actually getting smaller and narrower, especially in the last 2 years. You can tell by the pic how narrow it is getting. There is also a large sandbar that has formed just offshore that may be inhibiting tidal flow which will cause some major silting problems. I'm convinced one or two good storms could close off the MOB as well. The MOB's depth now averages about 12-14ft deep. I can remember when it was 20ft+ back in the mid-late 90's.

I agree that the MOSB needs to be reopened, but I'm afraid the only way to keep it opened would be to regularly maintain it, or build a jetty system (which would have to be maintained as well). The outbound tidal flow of the San Bernard River now gets diverted into the ICW. But that doesn't do much good when the locks on the inbound side of the MOB are constantly closed like they have been lately. I'm not sure what their concept is behind that.

All this has also adversely affected the Jones Lake system between the two rivers. Tidal flow has been significantly less since the closing of the MOSB. That used to be one of my favorite fishing holes but in the last year it's been really dead.

1st pic: Mouth of the San Bernard River
2nd pic: Mouth of the Brazos River

Attachments

·
Banned
27 Posts
I saw those pics when you first put them up. The Brazos seems to be in the process of closing. The Bernard didn't close due to the river silt...as others stated...it is due from the brazos sand and "stuff" flowing south..which caused the bernard to do the same...until now. It would be GREAT for the "officials" to re-open the bernard mouth. We then, once again, would have a decent bait house back, again....and the buisness would pick up !!! I would LOVE to see it happen.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes the MOB has narrowed some. I don't think it is too much of a problem, it changes over the years but seems to maintain itself.

The Sandbar at the MOB, is forming back up like it was back before TS Francis. Actually when it was ther it was real nice and made for some good fishing.

On the San Bernard, there is a benefit of fixing it and doing it right. If they were to build a groin or jetty on the upside it would catch and hold all the sand and protect the mouth. Better yet, the Government could then harvest this sand to help rebuild the beaches that are loosing sand!!! This would be a great benefit for say Sargent and Surfside.

I don't remember the amount of sand that is deposited each month at the mouth, but it is a pretty good amount. Over time, it would be a enough to harvest. Beach quality sand is required for rebuilding beaches. So where do you get beach quality sand? FROM THE BEACH!!!!!! Not from some inland pit, which is being done for Sargent's renourishment program.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Who knows what will happen when we get some major rains up above us. I wonder if it will flood houses due to the water being routed to the Brazos. I also saw mean picture of a barge trying to get through the locks at the MOB. The river folks are doing a great job of keeping this problem in the public eye. No doubt that business would pic up if the river was reopened. IMO, the cut in the 4th Cedar Lakes took away some of the flow at the mouth of the river, not to mention that we've lost half of that lake due to sand deposits. Hopefully all this will get fixed eventually.

·
Registered
402 Posts
rvj said:
Where does the San Benard begin?
The San Bernard begins in Austin County around the Cat Spring & New Ulm area.

That really was a good feature on the news and it came at an oppurtune time. I took off yesterday to protest my taxes on my house at Rivers End. No one can argue that property values haven't decreased with the mouth being closed and businesses moving away from the area.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mrschasintail said:
The house next door to us is 952 sq ft and it is for sale for 179K
Prop values are in tact for now anyway.
Okay, not to hijack this thread. But the property values are still fine. It was just that the BCAD had increased the property value on the property I purchased down there by over 40% over the course of 3 years. I just had to get them back in line with the true value.

Okay, now back on topic.

·
Registered
402 Posts
InfamousJ said:
Hey Wes, you could have told them I moved away last year also. That should drive interest and property values down as well.
Oh, why didn't I think of that? lol

I should come up with something humorous here, but this week has taken it's toll on my feeble mind. But, I am sure someone will come along and take care of that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Mrschasintail said:
The house next door to us is 952 sq ft and it is for sale for 179K
Prop values are in tact for now anyway.
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they get that then maybe I should consider selling.

Let me see, almost 4 times the river frontage + an additional 800 sg. ft, shoot price should double huh? LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts