2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
fishes with calcutta
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago, before I acquired a boat and before plastic kayaks came along, I had a sail line fishing rig. I only got to use it twice but it worked and we caught a few fish. I haven't seen that done in a long time. The attached article describes the basic fishing line but doesn't touch on the real heart of the assembly. The reel or spool is the hard part. You can use a hand cranked spool but a motorized unit makes the job of bringing back the sail and 1800 feet of line back to the beach a lot easier. By motorized I mean a windshield wiper motor and a car battery. Have a look at the article see and if it's something you non kayak surf fishing folks may find interesting.

http://phartattack.tripod.com/sailline.htm

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i see a guy in christmas bay using one quite often. right over in the acadia reef area.

·
Banned
756 Posts
Saw my BIL build one once . Pretty cool. He got all the directions from TPWD and I think had to get a license for it. Polly used it 2 x knowing him.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A lot of them are used under the JFK causeway in Corpus Christi. The placement restrictions are the same as for trotlines so they can't be used in the Gulf.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
The guy in Xmas bay might have been me. I fish my sail line in the spring and in the fall, on weekends when the weather doesn't allow me to get offshore.

There is a pretty small group of guys that fish Xmas and Drum bay with sail lines. You need 3 saltwater trotline tags for an 1800 foot line and you are good to go. I have a couple of hand crank reels that I crank with Mr. De Walt. I also have a power reel that I bought from an OSO guy.

Sail line fishing is fun, productive and is conducted mainly from the comfort of a yard chair. It is a great way to involve a spouse in your addiction!!

I won't be sail lining again until the end of August, but if you see a grey Dodge pickup, or a green Jeep wrangler, around Xmas or Drum, pls drop by and say hello.

steve

·
Old School 2cool
8,288 Posts
Steve, I'd like to go with you sometime. As a young boy growing up in Corpus Christi I saw that all the time in the early to mid sixties. Too young to appreciate it then. I'd sure like to see how it's done in 2006. Tight lines, Guy
steve_m said:
The guy in Xmas bay might have been me. I fish my sail line in the spring and in the fall, on weekends when the weather doesn't allow me to get offshore.

There is a pretty small group of guys that fish Xmas and Drum bay with sail lines. You need 3 saltwater trotline tags for an 1800 foot line and you are good to go. I have a couple of hand crank reels that I crank with Mr. De Walt. I also have a power reel that I bought from an OSO guy.

Sail line fishing is fun, productive and is conducted mainly from the comfort of a yard chair. It is a great way to involve a spouse in your addiction!!

I won't be sail lining again until the end of August, but if you see a grey Dodge pickup, or a green Jeep wrangler, around Xmas or Drum, pls drop by and say hello.

steve

·
Banned
317 Posts
I have caught monster trout and redfish, small flounder. the regs are on p.32 of the TP&W outdoor guide. PM me with a fax # and I'll send a construction guide.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have seen that guy in X-mas bay before... He caught quite a few fish if I remember correctly... Was in the late 90's and i have seen him several times... Had touts on the line in several different colors.

SW

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I use to run a sail line...

Mine was a hand crank job. We,(my dad and younger brother) have caught trout, reds, and a huge sea turtle (fouled hooked in the flipper). We couldn't get the hook outta that turtle fast enough...LOL The only time we brought in the line, one of the 6 floats on it was dancing back and forth on the water. It was a blast because we could leave it out and do a little wade fishing in Christmas Bay. We also caught lots of fingerling mullet for bait. Make sure and read the TP&W do's and don'ts about sail line...Vic

·
fishes with calcutta
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The floats go out in more or less a straight line. When they start zig-zaging back and forth you know you’ve got fish on. How long does that take, depends.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Had a guy in west Bay near Jamiaca Beach use one. I don't like them, IMO they are just a lazy way to fill the cooler. And no I don't care how much effort it takes to unload your truck or bait the hooks, it is still a trot line no matter what TP&W calls it. What about the fish that get hooked quickly then sit and then die on the line, then UH OH they are too small, we all know what happens, they are crab food, and please tell me that doesn't happen. I don't like trot lines in fresh water and I don't like them in salt, just my opinion.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Hey Deke...

The crabs need to eat! Or that is what my gamewarden brother says. What do you do with a small trout that is gill hooked or that is gut hooked? You can't keep it, so you have to let it be crab food. Sorry...not trying to hijack the thread...but it's my .02 cents worth...Vic

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I have had very few under-sized fish on the sail line. I have had a 10 pound flounder and a 30 inch speck. I'll be back in Drum Bay in September, when the offshore weather breaks. Come and take a look before you call us down.

Grey Dodge pickup or green Jeep Wrangler. Please stop by and say "Hello".

·
Registered
389 Posts
We flooded out one year on the river and had to cancel our room for the week. Once a year I get the family together. All the kiddos, sisters, and mom. They were disappointed (me too), so at the last minute we decided to camp a few days at Drum Bay. We built a sail line and got our tags and headed out. We caught a few fish to eat and the kids had a great time playing. Our sail reel was a water hose reel and kids were the wiper motor. This subject always get some heat. I know a few that run them. Most of them are retired and in there age. A few of them had boats but sold them. Cost of gas and just not able to launch or handle the boat. It's like everything else, if used responsibly, just another way for people to fish. Not everyone has the resources. I like to visit with the old men, they have the cool stories about the old days. We caught a few reds, tons of hardheads, 2 abandoned crab traps, and a monster stingray. I still laugh about the stingray. Me and the kids headed out to see what was on the hook. We looked like papa duck with 4 ducklings. I took the lead and made em walk right behind me. Grandma is on the tailgate, "What you got"? Papa duck "Aaaagh, it's a huge stingray". 4 ducklings, "AAAAGH" while running on top of the water back to the bank. LOL I was right behind them. Then the thousand question came. Uncle Jimbo, what you gonna do? Dad, you can take him, you can do it! Grab his tail and he cant hurt you, but watch out for the barb. We want the barb, you can get it with your fishing pliers. You better take two pliers. Ya'll know those kids can plan it all out. RFOL. The reel got retired after that weekend and is now in the front yard. We still talk about that weekend every 4th of July. As usual memories took over and I forgot what the original thread was. Sorry!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts