2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Shaver of choice...

• Disposal Cartridges (Mach III, etc.)

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Safety Razor

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Electric Razor

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I could fill in on Duck Dynasty if needed...

Votes: 4 5.1%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Kickin' hippies' a**es and raisin' h*ll!
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I was a canned shaving cream, disposable cartridge shaver. Shaving was a chore and I always ended up with irritation that no after shave could fix (I was the guy from the commercials who had to stick his head in the freezer after shaving).

A few years ago, I switched to a "hot" shave and started using a mug and brush. Not only was it cheaper than using the cans, but the shave seemed closer and was much less irritating (I rarely use after shave now).

I cringe everytime I see the prices on disposable cartridges and the amount of $$$ I'm throwing away, so I'm considering going double old-school and switching to a safety razor.

Anyone else use these?

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
I use a Mach III Power or something like that. I generally like it, but I don't have the issues you talked about. I only shave every other day, too. I hate electric shavers. The best shave I've ever had was from a straight razor at an old school barber shop. Only been there once, though, because I don't live anywhere near it.

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Try dollar shave club.
x2 if $$ in the primary concern. If it is irritation, sorry, can't help. I dry shaved for years with no issues, and just recently started using old fashion shaving soap.

Option 2 - have you tried electric shavers?

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
I used safety razors for years...until I discovered electric razors...and had been married for a few years...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Classic adjustable Gillette safety razor, feather brand blades, and mug and brush for me
What little areas around my full blade I do shave,

Bob

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Today's razors are phenomenal! I use Atras, and Barbersol for lather. If you take a little time, and let the lather soften your skin, and pull slowly, you can get get at least six shaves or more off of one triple-blade.

Over the years I have used PAL single edge, Gillette Blue Blades, injector blades, blade tapes, Wilkerson Stainless, and a number of others.

I repeat, let the lather soften your skin; the lather does not soften the whiskers! That is why a brush appears to give a better shave; the time it takes to apply softens the skin.

·
www.dg-adbc.org
2,626 Posts
Bic! Use 'em - toss 'em. Saw the machine that ground, sharpened and stropped the blades being made in Bridgeport, Ct in about '80. Made at Moore Special Tool. By measuring standards available at the time it was the best blade money could buy for $.19.

SG2

·
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear that the safety razors give a more comfortable shave which, along with the cost, is why I'm thinking about going that way. Of course, I read about it on the internet, which doesn't make it true. But if 2Cool says yes, then of course, it must be true!

I've tried electric razors, but they don't give me a close enough shave. I get a 5 o'clock shadow and around lunch with them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I love shaving with a Safety razor. It gives me a good close shave, but I can't find new stainless steel blades any more. Can anyone tell me how to get SS blades?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Who needs Safety razor only double edge blade

When I was in boot camp We had a few Phillipones guys.They threw away the Razors and only shaved with the double edge blade.The Navy gave us only the old style double edge Razors to use and blades....How they didn't cut there throat I wiil never understand...cva34

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use my deceased grandfather's old Gillette safety razor. Can get a pack of ten Double Edge blades at Walmart for about 3 dollars and each one can last up to two weeks shaving 5 - 6 days per week. I sometimes use soap and brush and other times go with gel. Type of blades makes a huge difference, but generally speaking it's a much better shave and cheaper than using today's cartridge razors at ~$5 per head.

·
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back from the dead update

Well, I thought I'd give an update. I went out and got that safety razor and started using the Taylor of Old Bond Street cream. I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years now, long enough to draw some conclusions.

1. The shave is superior, with a close shave and no irritation.

2. It is significantly cheaper.

As to the costs, I had about $80 in start-up costs ($40 for the handle, $40 for the brush). The consumables break down like this:

1 Jar of cream lasts about 12 months. Costs $14.

That's $1.17 per month.

1 package of blades lasts about 18 months. 120 pack for $17.

That's $0.94 per month.

So my total month-to-month costs are around $2.11, which is the cost of a single Mach3 replacement cartridge.

And I get a more comfortable shave.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts